Payen

AidanT

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

This stuff I think.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114439-victor-reinz-reinzosil-high-temperature-silicon-sealing-compound.aspx

I wouldn’t bother to lift a head purely to deal with a bit of sweating/misting. Mine is starting to do it again after about 5 years/ 18k in spite of the extra sealing. Only when the car has had a thrashing though. I think it’s telling me something about the breather capacity (inadequate)

Nick

That looks to be the same 300 deg C Reinzosil I used on Nick's recommendation.

As for breather capacity, yes it's a problem with the standard TR6 set up, with only a hose from rocker cover to inlet plenum and negligible vacuum scavenge of the crankcase.

Keith, I can't remember what breather arrangement you have on your EFi converted car. The earlier thread I linked to above goes into fitting an extra breather via the redundant fuel pump boss, on the side of the block near the oil filter.

Nigel

Back in the "Dark Ages". The Gasket coating of choice was Fine graphite mixed with transmission oil?. Well torqued, and re-torqued after 50 running hours. Also, ensuring that the Block and head surfaces where actually flat. To the point of "blueing" and scraping them if necessary!.

P.s. I recently "found" the remainder of a 1980`s "Payen" full gasket set. The head gasget had been used along with the manifold gaskets. Looking for the "bits" for the Hand Brake at the time!. Found everything but the "pin", so I spent several hours on the lathe making one from an old bolt!

Pete

Hi Nigel 

Yes I have a second breather like you suggested in your post so should be good on that side, I have just got the PAS kit from CCD so while I was draining the system thought I would do the head at same time, will be using the Reinzosil as you suggested so thanks.

Keith

55 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Also, ensuring that the Block and head surfaces where actually flat. To the point of "blueing" and scraping them if necessary!

Pete

That was essential in getting the head gasket to seal properly on my TR6. The top of the block had pulled up by about 1 thou around some stud holes. I flattened it by rubbing with a new (i.e. flat) oil stone.

Nigel