Engine rebuild - liquid gasket or not?

llessur

I am close to the stage where I can start building up my machined 2500 block. I'll primarily be following the workshop manual during the rebuild but have also seen a couple of fairly comprehensive YouTube videos which were useful - in one the guy used liquid gasket maker in conjunction with pretty much every gasket he used on the block with the exception of the head and manifold gaskets.

What are people's thoughts on whether this required/beneficial or not?

Small amounts only!

In 2000 or so I was involved in the investigation of a large number of Insurance warranty claims due to the frequency of engines blowing up which had connections to a local dealership; they were cheaply buying in 4x4s that had head gasket or other simple engine problems, and replacing the gaskets before selling them on - the engines were lasting months at most and were being claimed through the sale warranty. The mechanics were sealing with bathroom sealer - seriously! - and in such quantities that it was oozing out and blocking the oilways leading to failures.

So: a very small amount of sealer and really only where it's needed.

being a dinosaur

gaskets are unless specified to be sealed need to grip the block and head  some sealers will act as a lubricant and the constant 'panting' of the head will soon let the gasket fail

the only reference ive seen in triumph wsm is for the 1600 steel shim gasket where they spec a sealer but dont say what 

wellseal was the stuff used back in the days and still available today 

Pete