Metal thickness

sulzerman

Car sheet metal of the era seems to be about 19 gauge.  This is a standard gauge, but not that common outside the automotive industry.  I think most restorers use use 18 or 20 gauge.  If you buy it in metric size, 1mm is pretty close.

Ed

I`ve been using a combination of 1mm and 1.2 mm for the Herald. Straighter non complicated 1.2mm. Where a lot of intricate forming (tin bashing) was needed 1mm in the main. So far I have used 1 full (1200x1800x1.2) and 1/2 of a 1.0 sheet. I have only a few small bits left to do and one lower door repair. I used to Deliver as a "temp"/part time, for the Steel Stockists in Hull when I still had my HGV. (pre age 66) So the guys throw anything I order and pay for over the phone, on a wagon when there out this way, which is handy.

Pete.

Not done any tin bashing on my GT6 yet, but have just finished a full body restoration of the XK140.  Most of that was 20ga, which in Jaguar's case was 0.9mm.  Not that easy to source but do-able.  1mm is fine, and for heavier-duty stuff 1.5mm is good.  If you're doing a lot of butt-welding it's best to get the same gauge, otherwise it's very easy to unintentionally 'add lightness'.