3 1/2 J with 165x70 on.

That's anti-clockwise then?. ... hang on, dizzy spindle rotates anti clockwise....never mind, i'll go for max revs at warm tickover and play from there (outside ... she hates exhaust fumes !

Pully pointer is going to be many millimetres out then. Wear and tear eh

29 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Slight observation, 165 tyres on 3.5 rims.................. that's outside the safety spec if I am correct:

Tyre to 3.50x13 Rim Fitment » Oponeo.co.uk

On the original thread "ancient tyres : bin them" there are several comments on the widths suitable for 13/60 wheels, which are 3.5 as standard. My calculation based on a link given in a post was that 155 was the max. Which is what I have.

58 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

That's anti-clockwise then?. ... hang on, dizzy spindle rotates anti clockwise....never mind, i'll go for max revs at warm tickover and play from there (outside ... she hates exhaust fumes !

Pully pointer is going to be many millimetres out then. Wear and tear eh

Should be clockwise Jeff, if the revs go up you are going the right way. 

Tony.

19 minutes ago, Chris A said:

On the original thread "ancient tyres : bin them" there are several comments on the widths suitable for 13/60 wheels, which are 3.5 as standard. My calculation based on a link given in a post was that 155 was the max. Which is what I have.

Thanks Chris,

I've not read that thread.

Regards.

Richard.

Well I am the guinea pig. I have tha assurance of both the owner/manager and his top fitter that no problems will occur. Foxhunters tyres, Whitley Bay have a good reputation. 

I will gently increase performance until they fall off.

Clock wise it is then Tony 

40 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Well I am the guinea pig. I have tha assurance of both the owner/manager and his top fitter that no problems will occur. Foxhunters tyres, Whitley Bay have a good reputation. 

I will gently increase performance until they fall off.

Clock wise it is then Tony 

They won't fall off, but the "ballooning" will just make the ride a bit squidgier. However, as you have not gone oversize by much, it won't be very noticable. 

Best is to the the sidewalls nice and parallel. Probably why 155 tyres work very well on 4.5j wheels.