Unknown Engine - does anyone know how to identify it?

timjohnstone

A friend has what should be a 2ltr 6cyl Triumph engine, but would like to know what it's from. It's going in to a Spit6 project.

The odd thing is that the engine number is on a riveted plate and not stamped on the engine block.

Is this normal? Does it signify a Triumph Workshop "Rebuild" or "Exchange" engine or something?

Any idea what is this engine number from?

Tim

Untitled.png

Looks like the remains of an engine number under the plate. Drill the pop rivets out and see if that reveals anything?

phrases like "should be" are worrying when it comes to this sort of work. I think you need to be clear what you have from the outset. 

What was the source of the engine?

• Like 1

its a Mk2 engine  has the Vit/GT6 engine mount cast holes tapped  but the front  timing plate has 2 hole lugs showing 

just dont remember them but they are shown on all model parts lists 

sorry bit of a bum steer  there  !!!

so are correct  . cant for the life think what they are used for , apart from the o/s one might take the stg rack earth lead ???

with a hint of an H  its looking MK2 Vitesse 

Pete

31 minutes ago, timjohnstone said:

Pictures as promised - apologies I didn't have more to begin with!

As well as pinning down what engine this really is, we're particularly interested in what a riveted on engine number might mean.

Rivetted probably means reconditioned, by someone who is professional enough to want their mark on the block, maybe as a guarantee. It might even just stand for 'Triumph Engine'. It looks like a MK2 engine, probably Vitesse if that is an 'H' beside the rivetted plate; probably HC.

Interesting shade of green... :)

As above, the rivetted plate has been reversed stamped, which is a bit upmarket!

As to what it means, nothing significant. At some point within the last 53 years it has been through a reconditioners. That could be=mean it is excellent, or even it could have one odd-sized bore (yes, that did happen, one bore has damage, so only that one gets bored and a new piston)

If you want to know the health of the engine, head off and sump off. Measure bearing clearances etc and check bore wear. Otherwise cross fingers.

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

or one of those machines on platforms and piers  remember them put your money in and then spell your name wrong 

who's got a Tee shirt for an alloy plate you dare not show anyone

Pete

I've got a lot of strangely elongated pennies, though... plus I was looking for chrome stick-on letters that match the font of the Herald bonnet lettering. When I bought the car it was a Trumiph Herlad and I'd like to rearrange the letters accordingly... :)

Thank you! All very helpful. It should be attached to a chassis later this week.

Whilst the provenance isn't known, it has been rebuilt albeit decades ago, and the crank turned every month whilst it's been sat waiting to go in to a car. So with a little recommissioning it ought to be good.