1147cc early Spitfire - crankcase breather tube or not?

Colin Lindsay

Does the early 1147 Spitfire Mk1 / Mk2 have the breather tube from the side of the engine block? I was trial-fitting the tubular manifold to the 1200 Herald earlier and it won't fit; reason being the crankcase breather tube is getting in the way. As the manifold is listed for Spitfire 1147 I was just wondering how, if they have the breather pipe, they get round it?

9BDCC43F-928A-4AA7-B85F-3B3ED1F10609_1_105_c.jpg.7bd4bcf7c52fdb5bafa697d63a629c6f.jpg  C8DF1492-AC44-4A85-8F7E-387E2EB8D370_1_105_c.jpg.052b95f427945768c0072413625ecd6d.jpg

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to 1147cc early Spitfire - crankcase breather tube or not?
9 hours ago, Andy Moss said:

I remember seeing some of these cars with a long flexible breathed tube just hanging down toward the sump. Without being terminated. Guess you could re-route the breather pipe. 

That was my thought, at least change that clamp, its huge. 

10 hours ago, Andy Moss said:

I remember seeing some of these cars with a long flexible breathed tube just hanging down toward the sump. Without being terminated. Guess you could re-route the breather pipe. 

Tube without end, amen? :)

I'll have to see this morning how it fits with the clamp removed, then modify the clamp. It's interesting that there's a plate under the clamp, presumably to stop nasties getting up the pipe, or even water if it splashed that far. I don't want to reroute the pipe; it can be done alright but would have been easier with the engine out and the sump off... will experiment later today.

the late mk2 did not have the breather tube though early did, the rocker box outlet connected to the air filter box and the breather tube blocked. Maybe convert to that, or use the mk3 breather valve, though you would need to tap the manifold. Or simply cut the breather and put some flexible pipe in it's place.

Well I've found out that the tube will pivot in the block, so it has now moved out of the way and I may be able to mount the clamp to the next sump bolt along; however the manifold is now fouling the bellhousing so needs a bit of fine adjustment... if it ain't the one thing it's the other.

• Like 1