Sprint and presumably TR7 use of tapped bolts into engine vs studs

Peter Truman

Does any one know why Leyland chose to switch from studs for manifolds and fuel pump mounting on previous Triumphs to tapped bolts direct into the block and head with the Sprint and presumably Dolly 1850 and TR7.

I've just had to remove and refit the fuel pump on the Sprint what a pita, reason to stop an oil leak. 

Think I've worked out why the original Leyland manufacture were bolts not studs!

I undid the work I did yesterday in sealing the leaking pump to block gasket & removed the pump again and replaced the bolts with studs mounting the pump was easy BUT the bottom of the pump body flange sat proud from the block face.

I checked the new gasket which appeared to be the same size and profile of the pump mounting flange and it seated OK but when I offered the pump to the studs it sat proud at the bottom ie wouldn't seat home, replacing the studs with the bolts you could fit and seat the pump flange then fit the bolts thro with a little juggling, obviously unnecessary fine tolerances.

I wanted to persevere with the studs so I trimmed a little off the bottom of the pump flange which was beveled outwards midway thro a cross section of the flange, this enabled me to ensure the pump flange seated flat to the block mounting using the studs.

I'll let the aviation gasket goo set overnight then check for leaks?

Well that didn't work!! took the car a drive around 10klm got home under the fuel pump appeared dry, but with engine off and as I watched oil started running out from under the bottom of the fuel pump to block joint, bugger! I've had this problem before on my Vitesse but only a weep so and I changed to a blanking plate and an electric pump in frustration.

Anyone got any ideas, the fuel pump bolts are high up & off horizontal centre so the pressure on the bottom mating face is reduced? I've tried Sika make a gasket and aviation non setting gasket goo!

Thanks off to the Auto Store tomorrow for thicker paper and blue hylomar, used to have a tube somewhere

Also noted track rod end boots have gone fortunately same as Spit & Vitesse so I have new spares on a new (not reco) spare Spit Steering rack sat on the shelf.

i know things move on but on production trials loctite 574 solved all leaky sweaty gasket face leaks for good.

when compared to a whole spattering of commercial sealers around 20 were trialled

sets solid where air is excluded  I still use it on any face to face joints  a little goes a long way  its a bullet proof sealer 

pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on the Sprints fuel pump oil leak problem I mounted the pump using the studs instead of the original bolts, and blue hylomar on both surfaces let them get tacky dry and then fitted the pump.

Went a 30klm drive no oil leak until I stopped in the garage turned the engine off then after around 1 min or so an oil run started from around the rear possibly mounting stud area and ran slightly/dribbled for around 5 min,

I had also tapped and plugged the little breather hole in the back side of the mech pump.

I'm getting to the point of giving up on the mech pump, fitting a blanking plate and converting to an ECCO electric pump.

Any ideas why it only leaks after turning the engine off not when running, I'm pretty sure that I achieved a seal on the pump/block mounting, could the oil be coming down the bolt/stud thread in the block, but why does it only leak after the engine is turned off?

The sump/engine breaths/bleeds off to the carbs and carbon canister so it shouldn't build up any pressure.  

Any ideas from the brains trust!

On 26/04/2021 at 10:03, Pete Lewis said:

i know things move on but on production trials loctite 574 solved all leaky sweaty gasket face leaks for good.

Bought a tube at your recommendation and have used it extensively since, so will be sealing two halves of a diff together within a few days - not trusting the paper gasket alone; if it leaks it'll be nice to have someone to blame... :)