Wintertime top is here :) now need storage hoist

Jeffds1360

Oooooh Mr President ! Very time consuming , every 4 years?? 

Never mind that, I got my top hung with that cycle hoist and with a bit extra rope to steady it, I do not need the counter weights.

Seems very solid and will stop there for a while.

Had a run to Tynemouth and Whitley Bay along the seafront, with the wife. Hard to believe we are in a pandemic AND in a 'restricted'  (1 of 😎 area. .... chokka bloc with numpties. Better take a pcr test in case I picked a virus up out of the (hot) air they were breathing out!! :)

20210527_162844.jpg

Good thinking batman :)

I was considering removing the seals at those points, just laying them back but a load spreading strip would be easier. There is not much pressure/load on them as i set the balance up nicely.  The 'slings' needed a bit adjustment to make a snug fit.

btw, the ones on Ebay for about a tenner look exactly like mine but only state max load of 20kg. I have confirmed with my suppliers (with death threats for him, if my roof drops) that it is a 30kg setup.  It cost 20+. I cannot see any difference. I have actually swung on it and nothing gave. I'm 172lb.  :)

I'm on my phone and do not know how to link from Ebay but just search for bicycle hoists and pick one that looks like mine and scroll down to similar items.

They also come under roof box or canoe hoists. Most are 20+ but some are a tenner or less. Be aware of your weight though, best confirm with supplier and see what they say. 

Good luck.

I have removed them now Peter, well spotted ! I was using them to hang weights on to get it level, then secured it with the ropes.

Yes, those bonnet catches are a lethal weapon.

A young apprentice at my local garage went doolally when he saw the herald,  he loved it and asked if the bonnet catches were indicators...!!! ...... oh well, at least he appreciated the car :)

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Watch them J bolts just the right height to really do some personnel damage, I always close the Michelotti  bonnet catches when the bonnet is open as if left open there just the right to catch my eye as I bend over!!

Or... with the bonnet closed but not latched they're just at shin height. They hurt!

Jeff - Thanks again. Never thought to search on bicycle. I am going to have a rethink about this as I am not too keen on the single point lift/suspension. I might even get two of the £10 ones and fit one on each side. I will see. I did find this one..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Max-3004-0204-Ladder-Storage/dp/B00J54UZDE/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Canoe+hoist&qid=1622189771&sr=8-6

which reckons to have a better weight capacity but still only one rope to lift. 

Yes, the one pull rope is the one point suspension. Ideally for something at height, three point suspension is best so that if one fails the other two stop the fall/twist. Two point is better than one but if one line fails, the suspended item will twist and possibly fall from the remaining line. It looks like you have added a secondary safety line (the rope) which should help in case of failure. Incidentally, the feedback on one item highlights the failing of the suspension bolt heads which had sheered off, very worrying.