Heater control & Air Distribution control switches on dash -- removal?

jagnut66

Hi, 

The Heater control and Air Distribution control switches seem to have a different type of nut secuting them to the dash than the other 'two slot ringnuts' securing the other switches (apart from the choke cable which secures with a nut behind the dash like most do).

Is there a special tool for removing these two?

Best wishes,

Mike.

The two-slot versions have a bezel-removing tool, but I've never seen one specially made for the 'other' version with six dimples (top right in the photo)... that tool did manage to grip them eventually but it was difficult and did mark them.

If you can get access in behind them pushing the switch forward, as if out of the dash, it may loosen the grip that the chrome bezel has and you can unscrew it by hand. Otherwise it's a case of trying various tools, adaptors and grips to avoid marking the dash veneer. Sometimes you can disconnect the actual switch and rotate that in behind, which is easier to grip, but be careful with it; they break easily.

bezel1.jpg.c142b52d035555a692cc6f6bf5eaee62.jpg

think you are barking up the wrong tree here i seem to remember 

the push pull controls on heralds are held by a nut on the back of the dash the front is fixed 

think they also double up as ashtray frame support 

whilst the knob is removeable it (from memory) is a nasty nut on the back and the control 

removes towards you , note that chasing the cable back through the off set holes in the heater plenum

can be aided if a length of tube is fitted as you withdraw the cable 

easy to get at.....NO 

get the sticky plaster ready 

Pete

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

think you are barking up the wrong tree here i seem to remember 

the push pull controls on heralds are held by a nut on the back of the dash the front is fixed 

The dimpled ones screw on and off too, you can adjust the depth they sit into or out of the dash by tightening or loosening either the dimpled bezel or the nut behind. It may be that you can attach the bezel then push the cable through and tighten from in behind; all depends if you why you want to remove in the first place ie you can remove the bezels etc but leave the other end of the cable attached. If you're removing the entire cable you can undo from behind and push it out the front.

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

all depends if you why you want to remove in the first place

The reason behind my inquiries is that my original dash is looking very 'tired', so I'm looking to get my spare dash reveneered and swap them over.

Best wishes,

Mike.