Returning to the road DVLA

Ian Cooper

Credit should be given to anyone over 100 if they've made it that far... :)

Incidentally - thread drift alert!! - I remember hearing on radio a number of years ago that history is not as remote as you think; they made a statement along the line that you in the course of your life might have spoken to someone, who might have spoken to someone, who was born in the 1700s.

My grandfather was born in 1891 (died in 1981) but if, for example, as a child he had spoken to someone of 80 years old, they would have been alive in 1815, the year of Waterloo, and he might even have known someone older. Makes you think!

Yes, historic vehicle acceptance is based on date of registration and as long as it was registered before Jan 8th 1981 there's no problem. My car however wasn't registered until late January 1981. In this  case the car still qualifies as long as you can prove that it was manufactured before Jan 1st 1981. Basically a Heritage Certificate or an official letter from a DVLA approved owners club does the job. 

Interestingly (maybe?) my Spitfire actually has a commission plate which I guess dates to 1978 plus a newer VIN plate above it. I'm re-upholstering the seats at present and found the right hand seat was clearly built with a passenger  seatbelt warning light switch but it's no longer there. I guess it was built for the Californinan market which disappeared with their new emissions laws and was rebuilt for the British market.Pure conjecture.

B***dy hell PeteH I feel much older all of a sudden. I watched the first moon walk 'live' on tv (I think it was a 14second delay in those days) and even took a photo of the tv screen with my Instamatic 110 as Armstrong took his first step. I'm told the world is a much more exciting place now.

I finally got a refund of just £210 of the £280 VED I had paid under protest.  I believe that the problem was caused by the DVLA recording my car as built in 1981 as well as first registered in 1981.  I had to get them to change the build date to 1980 and then apply my request for change to Historic Vehicle tax status.  Despite the error being theirs they did not backdate the refund payment.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The last Herald I bought wouldn't, either... :)

The 13/60 I bought,HAD an MOT. But if you saw the state of the chassis?, when I finally got to it, you would definitely wonder how??. I am assuming that because the Major components where sound?. The issue was a lack of support from the outriggers etc, and NO floors.

Pete

'Suppose I was lucky then. My 13/60 was also MoT'd. The chassis was very solid, as were the floors and all sills and panels.. . BUT..!! the gear change was diabolical! Needed new bushes and springs/circlips were shot (and fitted incorrectly), also the rear half axle roller bearing was shot and a butterfly screw was missing in the carb! What a nightmare to find that was why tickover was 1200!

Still.... they are not MoT fails :)

6 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

'Suppose I was lucky then. My 13/60 was also MoT'd. The chassis was very solid, as were the floors and all sills and panels.. . BUT..!! the gear change was diabolical! Needed new bushes and springs/circlips were shot (and fitted incorrectly), also the rear half axle roller bearing was shot and a butterfly screw was missing in the carb! What a nightmare to find that was why tickover was 1200!

Still.... they are not MoT fails :)

Someone had spent a LOT of money in recent times. The Disks/Calipers where brand new, the fuel tank is virtually new. But the chassis/Body????. The Hood, (sadly badly ripped) had been an expensive item, some 5 years earlier according to the Bill`s that came with it.

Pete.