exhaust system for a 1500 Herald

mpbarrett

I have a 1500 engine in my Herald with a 4 to 2 to one tubular SS exhaust manifold (from a 1500 Spitfire). The engine has a stage 2 head (whatever that means) fuel EFI and mapped ignition. It goes very nicely.

But the exhaust is very noisy (and has a few leaks in it). On long motorway journeys it  gets very tiring...
At the moment is has a steel pipe of 48mm OD running from an adapter from the manifold. The rear box is of unknown parentage.... and has 42 OD exit pipe.

Its very noisy, sounds nice when revved but too much on a long journey its also leaking and very close to the ground and the main pipe is very badly rusted....

I want to fit something quieter. I was thinking about a Vitesse system (2L) or even a Vitesse 1600 system, but I cant find what size pipes are used in these systems. 
Anyone know the pipe sizes are on these systems or what have other people used on a 1500 Herald.  

thanks

Mike

I think the Mk1 Vitesse exhaust is probably similar diameter to what you have. It has the advantage, if you can find a proper one, of a centre silencer. They're certainly nice and quiet with the six.

When I had a 1500 Herald we'd retained the 13/60 manifold and complete exhaust system, but then it also had the 13/60 single Stromberg, so it wasn't really set up to rev or breathe much. Lovely low down torque, though.

I think the 4 branch manifold will mate to a vitesse mk2 system? 

When I ran a 1500 herald the engine was std and I used a herald 1360 manifold/system. Fine for that as it was an everyday hack. 

The only downside of a vitesse system is that the 6 cylinder cars seem to have a smoother sound, the 4s have more "bark" . I had to make my own system for my (ford engined) spitfire. The twin sports exhaust initially fitted was too loud (just scraped 98db at trackdays, but was always the loudest car on track) and it was also a bit too small in bore. I have used a total of 5' of straight through exhaust boxes to get it quiet enough. 

I wonder if fitting a mk2 GT6 centre box may help?

3 minutes ago, clive said:

I think the 4 branch manifold will mate to a vitesse mk2 system?

On my 1500 Mk3 Spitfire I have a 4 branch mated to a Mk1 GT6 system. It's louder than I'd like, probably because it only has one silencer. I don't know whether the Mk1 and Mk2 Vitesse exhausts are different bore?

5 minutes ago, NonMember said:

On my 1500 Mk3 Spitfire I have a 4 branch mated to a Mk1 GT6 system. It's louder than I'd like, probably because it only has one silencer. I don't know whether the Mk1 and Mk2 Vitesse exhausts are different bore?

I think they are, but it has been too many years since I last played with "standard" exhausts.

Canleys are a font of knowledge....

In my 1500 Herald with twin HS4 carbs and headwork/cam etc. I have a 4 into 1 manifold which goes into a 3 inch collector,i made a reducer and mated it to a Vitesse system with just one rear back box,sounds nice and raspy but not too loud.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

I brought a MK1 Vitesse exhaust system from Rimmerbros with the central silencer, (only people who had one on the shelf, club weeks delay), fitted it and its wonderful, much less noise but no change  in performance. Much nicer on a motorway.
I had to cut the exhaust and did make a bit of a cock up, cutting off the bend in the main pipe. This has meant the rear silencer it not in the right position and is hitting the wheel well.  Will need to replace the pipe from the tubular manifold to the rear box. :(

Mike