Indicators / Hazards Triumph GT6 MK3

BestyA

I have seen a few threads on the hazard and indicators and I have now joined the tearing my hair out club. I have changed the previous steering column from a Dolomite (as fitted by the PO) to a GT6, which has required some wiring changes – however I am stumped with the hazards / indicators.

I have got to the point where the indicators will work! - however, when the hazards are on only the left indicators work.

It is like the GW wire (as shown on the diagram) is missing – I have tried "jumping" the GW wire to the hazard flasher with mixed success. The hazards work but both right and left indicators work when indicating right or left or the indicators do work but the hazard light flashes at the same time.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Haz ind Wiring diagram.jpg

These sort of problems are nearly always a bad contact in the hazard switch.

Your test with jumping the wire - I'm not sure I understand you correctly but I think you're shorting two terminals of that switch? From LG/K to G/W wires? If so I'm not surprised you have wacky behaviour. The switch explicitly disconnects them when off! It's a very particular switch - when off, it connects G to LG/S and leaves the other four terminals not connected to anything. When on, it disconnects G from LG/S and connects all four of the other terminals (LG/G, LG/K, G/W, G/R) together. Based on your findings, I think the GW terminal isn't connecting properly inside the switch. If you can get the switch out and spray some WD40 into it, then rock it on and off several times (lots of times!) then it may repair itself. They often do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update on this. After hours and hours of trying to figure this problem out, having bought a new hazard switch and flasher unit, nothing changed.

I have then been painstakingly tracking down individual wires.....and last night a breakthrough, buried deep in the harness in the most inaccessible place above the steering column there it was - somehow in the past the RW wire (right turn) had been soldered to the RG wire (left turn). Cutting the RW and joining it back to where it should be has done the trick.

So lesson learnt, though I am not quite sure what the lesson is!!

5 hours ago, BestyA said:

I am not quite sure what the lesson is!!

dont trust anyone   Ha !especially previous owners over the last 50  years 

but as you have found  , a bit of careful homework  with what are pretty simple systems can save you £££s  and you learn more about your wallet stealing pride and joy 

Pete