Clutch Master cylinder connection

cliff.b

I've got a leak from my Spitfire 1500 clutch master cylinder pipe connection. I couldn't tighten it anymore and it was also hard to undo. Tried the pipe in a spare brake cylinder & couldn't get it anywhere near tight.

So, could anyone advise me what fitting size & thread should be fitted to the clutch pipeline and is this the same as the brake fittings?

On the earlier cars all the hydraulics were 3/16" pipe with 3/8" UNF fittings. However, clutch hydraulics on Dolomites and the like were bigger, while TR7s had some metric fittings. I would expect a 1500 Spitfire to have the earlier type (I don't think the clutch master ever changed throughout Spitfire production).

Many thanks for the responses. The pipe thread was damaged and the clutch cylinder was also leaking through the seals. As it was an incorrect cylinder anyway I decided to order a new one and a new pipe and replace both.

Halfway through I wished I hadn't as decided to do it from underneath the car but all ok now.

The clutch now feels completely different, which I presume is due to the cylinder now being the correct spec. Much more aggressive over a shorter pedal distance. But preferable, I think, once I got used to it.IMG_20210902_140509_814.thumb.jpg.0393b9f583455bb441ef29a1a52857a7.jpg

• Like 1

Clutch is working fine but now I can hear what I presume is a release bearing noise when I am pressing the pedal. Never noticed it before and the only explanation I can think of is that the previous leaking master cylinder was barely disengaging the clutch.

Does this sound plausible?

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well release bearings do wear out and can rumble away for ages 

is this noise foot on or foot off ??

do check the crank for excess end float  .... noise may not be the throwout  

Pete

Foot on. No noise at other times. 

The only things that have changed are the master cylinder, pipework and then bleeding it. 

Maybe it did it before and I hadn't noticed but now I've heard it I can't "unhear" it 🤔.

36 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

have you got the spiral coil in the pipe to  decouple/ absorb any/ some  vibrations /noise /engine   noises up the pipe  into the pedal area 

Pete

a flexible may be all you need 

or not !!!

I copied what was there previously, pipe from the slave clamped to the engine at a bellhousing bolt then a loop between the engine and master cylinder.