Comparative mileage Classic and Modern

68vitesse

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

I remember its possible to get near 50mpg from a spitfire. Std cam, flowed head , k and n filters, richer needles and a cold air feed to the carbs. And most importantly a steady driving style. 

Is that with overdrive at steady speeds?

38 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Yes , and sports exhaust with four branch manifold

I will be interested to work my consumption out when I next fill 'er up as this will be the first entire tankful used on proper journeys with no tuning & testing going on.

Previously, I have averaged between about 28 & 32 mpg but after 180 miles the gauge is showing not far below half which suggests a lot better than that.

This is a non overdrive car but was driven in a "relaxed" manner over the weekend to keep my wife reasonably happy. Also just had the vac advance replaced as it had seized up.

22 hours ago, clive said:

Historically we have been world leaders in developing new ideas,

Sadly, Whilst that is true, what we, as a nation, seem to lack is the gumption to back those idea`s into Job`s and wealth here in the UK. Over my (now very long) lifetime I have seen so many "British" inventions and ideas made into wealth and profit for other nations. Whilst it is and has been fashionable to blame british workers and unions for the decline in UK manufacturing, Management too, and lack of investment, have to take a lion share of the blame. Now of course, we are suffering a similar issue with a lack of workforce despite high numbers unemloyed, willing to take on jobs in Transport and Agriculture to name just two aspects.

Not very far from where I live, is the MOD school of transport, where they train the armed forces drivers. I believe they do it inside 12 weeks? It is (allegedly) currently running well under capacity?. An (to my mind) ideal oportunity here to get. 1) people back to work. 2) increase the numbers of qualified LGV drivers. By simply utilising this already existing facility to train civillian drivers.

The drawback?. according to those I speak to in the transport sphere, The young don`t want to be away from home, nor work "unsocial" hours!!.

Pete

On 07/09/2021 at 06:31, PeteH said:

Not very far from where I live, is the MOD school of transport, where they train the armed forces drivers. I believe they do it inside 12 weeks? 

Many years ago my older brother completed his apprenticeship as a “motor mechanic” and went off to do his National Service. His apprenticeship had included heavy vehicles and recovery work. When his Sargent leant this he was instructed to, “Teach this bunch to drive, you have two weeks”. Twelve days later it was done.