Fitting Herald driver's footwell carpet

Patrick Taylor

I've got all the Newton Commercial carpets fitted except the one for the driver's footwell. How have folks fitted the accelerator pedal? I have spotted Tippex through the bolt holes onto the underside of the carpet and was intending to have the bracket on top of the carpet, with the bolts going through & into the floorpan. Or should I cut around the bracket? I don't really want another unbound hole in the carpet -the handbrake aperture is bad enough!

On some of mine there's a slit cut into the carpet that goes round the accelerator; on others there's a rectangle cut out that the accelerator sits into. If yours isn't cut I'd bolt straight through into the footwell, but just before you put the bolts through seal the edges of the holes with good adhesive so they don't unravel.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

On some of mine there's a slit cut into the carpet that goes round the accelerator; on others there's a rectangle cut out that the accelerator sits into. If yours isn't cut I'd bolt straight through into the footwell, but just before you put the bolts through seal the edges of the holes with good adhesive so they don't unravel.

Thanks for the advice; no, it isn't cut, so I'll do as you suggest...

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Hi

The drawback to that, especially in a convertible, is that the accelerator would need to be unbolted OR the carpet then cut, to remove the carpet if neccessitated by (say) a wet floor?.

Pete

I don't think there's any perfect solution, there's always going to be some eventuality or incident that will necessitate something, and undoing two small setscrews for the accelerator isn't the hardest of jobs, although it can be amazingly fiddly some times! Having it securely fixed, rather than just cut, also makes it stay in place better.

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

You can convert to a top hung pedal eg Spitfire Style I believe it’s been done by some

There's enough non-standard on a Bond without changing the accelerator setup 🙂! I still haven't found out what the right cable is, so have put the old one back on and the new 13/60 one which doesn't fit, on the shelf with all the other Herald bits that should fit and don't! Even the Newton Commercial carpets are a bit sketchy fitting into the front footwells, and as for the way tunnel, footwell and rear carpets all overlap (and are not hidden by the front seats, well, I'm off to a DIY shop for an metal extrusion to tidy it all up!