Aluminium bodied GT4

I have to say i take my hat off to Roger for making such an excellent job of the veneering. Having tried it myself and failed miserably, I've sent the trial dash to Messrs Chapman & Cliff for their expert attention. I just cut mine from a piece of ply that I had handy but it is three mms too thick. The new one that they are going to make will be in the correct 9mm Birch ply that Triumph used originally and veneered. Apertures for the speedometer and tachometer will be rebated so it should look very nice.

The clocks themselves are a mishmash so they are going to be replaced with new Smiths Classic instruments so that they will all match each other and look as if they belong. This was a cheaper option than modifying the rev counter and petrol gauge to match the speedometer.

I've just collected quite a few bits from the powder coaters which is always very pleasurable. I take them a boot full of rusty metal and it comes back looking like new. This was particularly true of the seat baskets which have come out really nicely. I'm now ready for the delivery of the new foams and seat covers so that we can get on and rebuild the seats. gallery_67_25_57618.jpggallery_67_25_27359.jpggallery_67_25_45657.jpggallery_67_25_65713.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Calling my car a GT4 Lightweight has and probably is causing some confusion in certain quarters because, of course, Triumph never made such a model. I decided on the name, inspired by the lightweight E Types. The 4 comes from it having a four cylinder Spitfire engine but at the end of the day, it is a GT6 in every respect except for the engine, subtle styling differences and the aluminium panelling. Underneath the aluminium panels is the same steel frame that underpins all GT6s and all the running gear is GT6 as well. So, perhaps the time has come to re-name it, quite simply as a GT6.

GT4 Lightweight it is then. It always sounded right to me but I was interested to hear other people's opinions.

However, for the purpose of being eligible to take part in the 50th anniversary celebrations this year, I hope we can agree that it is a GT6 and no mention of the word SPECIAL  :P

GT4A nails if for me, and if people don't understand it, they can pass an educational hour or two improving their minds with a good marque history. It would be even stranger to call it a six when it plainly is not. It is what it is, a fantastic one-off, which is neither a racing ADU Spit, nor a GT6. (And I still like A for alligretta!)

Best wishes

Steve

GT4A nails if for me, and if people don't understand it, they can pass an educational hour or two improving their minds with a good marque history. It would be even stranger to call it a six when it plainly is not. It is what it is, a fantastic one-off, which is neither a racing ADU Spit, nor a GT6. (And I still like A for alligretta!)

Best wishes

Steve

I like it too Steve. You mentioned it way back I remember.

Well, at last progress is being made on the body and this fills me with relief and hope that we will be able to enjoy all the planned events in the car this Summer. I paid a visit to the panel beaters/paint shop today to see for myself how they are getting on.

I have always considered that apart from the bonnet (which I didn't make) the roof is the best panel on the car and pretty much ready for paint. How wrong I was. It was a big surprise and quite shocking to see how much filler was needed to cover the lows. These were invisible to my untrained eye but obvious to the painter. I didn't feel quite so bad however when I saw that the bonnet had been given its fair share of filler too.

One thing the panel beater has also been able to do is to improve the panels gaps and by clever adjustment make the bonnet curves flow into the doors and the doors into the rear quarters; all very impressive. He is a master of his art and I'm very lucky to have his services. Here are a few pictures. More as it happens.gallery_67_25_60114.jpggallery_67_25_7376.jpggallery_67_25_61533.jpggallery_67_25_23652.jpg

I forgot to say that following Alan C's lead I'm going to fit drain tubes to the bottom corners of the tail gate aperture. This is a real water trap and if anywhere needs a drain this does. I've machined up these fittings which are going to be welded in and ground flush. Push on plastic pipes will take the water outside.gallery_67_25_8405.jpg

• Like 1

John, I know I have said this before, but this is still my favourite thread on the forum. Excellent build, I look forward to seeing the gt4 in her new paint.

Bw

Aaron

Thank you Aaron, that's really kind of you. It has been a long time in limbo but completion does look to be within reach now and I have to admit to being quite excited myself about seeing it painted in French Blue. I'm particularly with the rear quarter panels and the way one curve flows into another.As I mentioned before, the painter/panel beater is an absolute craftsman and he is, I believe, taking the car to another level and if I were in any doubt before, I am now totally convinced that painting was absolutely the right decision. 

Good news on the engine which is now rebuilt and waiting for me to collect. So, all in all; a very good week  :)

Liking the sound of the engine being ready......Just wish they painters would hurry up, I want to see/hear the car on the road, all "finished"

Have I mentioned I get impatient? 

Clive you and me both. Impatience is my biggest battle I have with myself.

Yes the engine sounds very promising. The builder is going to collect the car once I've installed the engine and trailer it back to his workshop where it will be run in on his rolling road. He sounded very happy with the engine build and if it fits in he is going to drive it up Wiscombe at one of the events in the Summer. He holds the Class record up there so it will be interesting to see what my car can achieve with a good pedaller at the wheel.

The MX5 hit its rev limiter at that sort of figure, again at Goodwood at exactly the same point I killed the 1500 big ends. That was WELL into the red on a fizzy little jap engine, I think the 1500 had enough at a little over 6K. Not sure where I would set it, maybe 6 1/4? Even that may be risky!

(Goodwood is a lovely tack, but coming out of the chicane it is SO hard to remember to change gear early enough to save the engine)

The MX5 hit its rev limiter at that sort of figure, again at Goodwood at exactly the same point I killed the 1500 big ends. That was WELL into the red on a fizzy little jap engine, I think the 1500 had enough at a little over 6K. Not sure where I would set it, maybe 6 1/4? Even that may be risky!

(Goodwood is a lovely tack, but coming out of the chicane it is SO hard to remember to change gear early enough to save the engine)

It will be interesting to see where it develops peak power Clive. The last cam (TR5) ran out at five thousand but there may have been other factors apart from the cam that contributed.