Herald 12/50 Three Rail Gearbox Noise

Jon J 1250

Hi,

My 12/50 is just back on the road after a 16 year rest. In my ownership It has always had a kind of hissing/scraping noise from the gearbox when accelerating in 3rd gear, you do accelerate through it, but probably shouldn't be there.

The car has done 50k miles 20k of which I have covered since 1995, and is the original gearbox from 1965,

Does anyone have an idea what is causing the noise, is it a common thing?

Regards

Jon

sounds like you have a distorted selector fork  as the pads normally run in the clearance of the sleeve but if a bit bent the pads foul on the sleeve and make a singing scraping noise

does loading the gearstick make some change to the noise    this is generally called sizzle 

any other gear selection  happenings ????

Pete

My sons second car was an Alfa 33 great little car, but I had to get the gearbox rebuilt, Just Alfa here showed me the selector forks he had to replace they were worn past the wear pads, he stated it's an Alfa thing, the Alfa driver has to hold the gearstick at all times between changes so it goes faster and wears the selectors out, trying to break my 19yr old son from the Alfa habit was nigh on impossible, great little car but it did consume starter motors!

Sizzle is quite a good description of it actually. I will have to see if putting pressure in different directions on the gear lever makes any difference.

Interestingly it doesn't always do it, but mostly does.
Changing the oil is after several decades, is probably a good idea too. It had a new gearbox extension rear seal in 1988, and that's probably the last time the oil was changed.