Fuel gauge.

Pdv

Looking to get the second Herald started, when I  bought it, it started first time and it needed lots of bits doing to it to get it to where I wanted.

Gearbox leaking oil, water leaks from holes in the metal under the battery wiring  loom needing some TLC.etc. 

I replaced points, plugs and leads, rotor arm and distributor cap. It then refused to start and was not able to apply much time to that.

I now have time to devote to that and will sort it.

All the electrics are working except for the fuel gauge which when the ignition is turned on the gauge increases slowly to full but the tank is empty.

I fitted a replacement tank and the sender may be stuck in the full position?.

Is the sender easy to take out to check and replace, fitting new seal/gasket without leaks, will check connections but not able to get to it today. 

Sorry a bit long winded but wanted to paint the picture.

Thanks 

Steve 

Some say you can put some stiff wire through the petrol cap and move the arm (normally up as its stuck on empty) so I see no reason why you couldn't move it up and down if its stuck. Otherwise its easy to take out (make sure you haven't a full tank) I cut a cork gasket to refit...

Easy test would be to switch the wiring between the temperature and fuel gauges (unless you have a 1200, I think they don’t have a temp gauge?). They’re exactly the same thing but with a different face. So if the behaviour changes when you change the wiring, the gauges are fine and it’s the sender, otherwise the other way around. If you only have a fuel gauge the voltage regulator (usually screwed to the back of the speedo) is worth suspecting too.

1 hour ago, Pdv said:

I fitted a replacement tank and the sender may be stuck in the full position?.

It might be, but it's also a classic error to swap the wires on the sender without noticing that one of the terminals is earthed to the tank. That gives the behaviour you're seeing.