Rear Wooden Seat Cappings - Vitesse

Paul H

Definitely not convertible - the big hole for a seat belt mount wouldn't be there even if the CVs did have cappings. I wondered about Dolomite rear doors, but that hole doesn't make sense for that, either (and I don't think the Dolomites had the exposed screw heads). If they'd even built Vitesse coupes then that would be a possibility? But surely even if the Aus 12/50 had wood cappings they would be seriously rare.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Josef said:

Any sign it might’ve been shortened? Might’ve been done to fit one of those t-bar style saloon to convertible conversions. At a wild guess!

No mods at all it’s just a short version of the existing down to the telltale writing on the back . That’s why I thought it was for the convertible . It has to be Triumph / BL . We may never know . The Ebay seller who was selling other Triumph items hasn’t offered any further explanation and has agreed for a return 

Paul 

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

No mods at all it’s just a short version of the existing down to the telltale writing on the back . That’s why I thought it was for the convertible . It has to be Triumph / BL . We may never know . The Ebay seller who was selling other Triumph items hasn’t offered any further explanation and has agreed for a return 

Paul 

Don't return them just yet. They may turn out to be something rarer than just Herald / Vitesse cappings! Can you measure the length for us?

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't return them just yet. They may turn out to be something rarer than just Herald / Vitesse cappings! Can you measure the length for us?

This is the item description 

Triumph Vitesse / Herald Wooden Door Capping. ( Saloon Rear)

Wood is in really nice condition. Just requiring a gentle sanding and coat of varnish

Length: Top edge is 495mm Bottom edge is 460mm

Width: 70mm

yes but no seat belt bolt holes and a very different contour  ad only  approx  360 long 

the rear door one is 760 long  

its the seat belt hole thats the deciding factor in the short ones Paul has received

the Coupe sounds a possible as the rear deck is the  longest of the Three  , but being Herald were the capping's ever available as an option  ???

Pete

11 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Don’t the big six saloons have rear door capping’s?

Pete

It's got the hole for the seatbelt bolt, so wouldn't be on a door, yet the hole for that in the photo is set much further forward than the other saloon version in the picture. This points to it being mounted further to the rear, or the seat belt being further forward.

I've just nipped out and confirmed: a) the convertible measures roughly 50cm from b-post to rear seat, and b) the convertible seat belt mount is much closer to the b-post than the saloon - see photos. Interesting!

I wonder if they really are home-made convertible? Fancy selling them on, Paul? 

DSCF1770.jpg.c472133ac9bbb4b62bb332edd80a92af.jpg  DSCF9114.jpg.fead560f49245d8077f69617915f908a.jpg

12 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

the convertible seat belt mount is much closer to the b-post than the saloon

On early cars like yours, yes. Vitesse 2L convertibles (and 13/60 CVs) had the seat belt anchored to the wheel arch and passing through a slit in the trim panel. I don't know whether that's also true of the 1600 ones.

Just now, NonMember said:

On early cars like yours, yes. Vitesse 2L convertibles (and 13/60 CVs) had the seat belt anchored to the wheel arch and passing through a slit in the trim panel. I don't know whether that's also true of the 1600 ones.

So presumably the seller has assumed they fit both Herald and Vitesse, as so many do on eBay these days. The dimensions fit the early Herald as does the siting of the seatbelt mount. If they don't fit the later, I've got an early 1200 they might suit... :)

The current situation is that I can return at no cost . They stand me at £35 . The condition is very good as no cracks in the wood . If anybody is interested pm me asap as currently told the seller I’m returning and they are parcelled to go 

Paul