Low clutch biting point, root cause?

Roger

Hi All,

I have some problems with the clutch in my Vitesse. The biting point is really low, about an inch from the floor. It was not like that before I replaced my original very early HC engine (small crank) to an MB engine from a 2000 Saloon. It was a struggle to match the MB engine with the original 1966 Vitesse HC gearbox. I tried so many combinations of clutches and flywheels that I have now forgotten what’s in there! I think I have a flywheel from a MK II Vitesse + clutch cover from the HC engine.

My question is:  can the “low clutch” be a result of not bleeding the system properly (because it is such a pain to reach the bleed screw!!!) or have I changed the geometry for clutch plate / cover / flywheel when I had to mix parts from three different cars to mate my engine with my gerabox? Any suggestions how to reach that bleed screw without starting to bleed myself? Do you use any special tools? To add complexity, my Vitesse is LHD from factory so master cylinder on the left.

Also found this on youtube: bleeding clutch tips

Any thoughts? /Roger.

DSC00768.JPG

DSC00774.JPG

DSC00775.JPG

Yes the low bite can definitely be due to not having bled the system properly. Could be your connections are upside down? I’m pretty sure the bleed nipple should be at the top and the pipe to the master cylinder at the bottom. Bleeding it in the orientation you have means air can be trapped in the space above the bleed screw.

• Thanks 1

first mistake swap the nipple and pipe over the bleeder must be uppermost this will never let the air out as it is .

you can fit a brake hose or extend some bundy to fit a bleed nipple remotely in the engine bay saves raising the tunnel

a full  swivel headed spanned can with a fiddle get on the bleeder from the engine bay 

I would push the slave piston fully inwards to reduce the cyl air capacity  while bleeding it pumps back out when pedal is first used if the sping inside doesnt return it to contact the 

lever 

Pete

• Thanks 1

I actually like a low bite point as find its much easier on my ankle than trying to control it with my foot bent backwards. Im only a size 9 so if its really high I can end up with my foot off the floor which really doesnt lend itself to smooth hill starts!

8 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I’ve extended the clutch servo bleed nipple on my Vitesse , it’s clipped to the side valance and the air box needs removing to gain access

Thats what I need! Thanks for the picture Paul, it helps a lot. I guess I have to buy a brake pipe flaring kit (don't have one). What other components did you use?

6 minutes ago, Roger said:

Stupid question: How do you attach the bleed nipple to the break hose?

Not a stupid question at all! You need a female inline coupler. Unfortunately, the inline couplers that Triumph used were all male. I've tried using a 3-way union with one of the ports plugged (but had problems at the other end and never got round to trying it).

• Thanks 1

I made an inventory of the brake and clutch stuff I have in my garage to see if I had anything useful. I found a small brake (or clutch?) pipe from my 13/60 that seems to have potential. I have no idea where it comes from! Only that it came of my 13/60. Anyone on here know what it is? My Herald is also LHD from factory, and I guess the plumbing work is different from a RHD. I'm tempted to do some minor adjustments on this pipe and use it as an extension for the clutch bleeding screw on my Vitesse.

DSC00778Koppling.JPG

DSC00779Koppling.JPG

DSC00780Koppling.JPG

Thanks All, lots of useful tips there. I have been procastinating proper clutch bleeding a long time after my hands started to bleed when I (without success) tried to reach that %&#&& bleeding screw. I should have asked you guys a long time ago!

12 minutes ago, Josef said:

I think the spare 13/60 pipe you’ve found is probably the one that runs from the three way union at the rear of the car to the LH rear wheel cylinder (assuming the LHD pipe work is the same as RHD in that area). 

Thanks, then I know which part will be missing when I put my Herald together again :-)

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

It’s surplus to me so if you want it it it would cost you just P & P

Thanks Paul, that's very kind of you. Bury St Edmunds is a long way from The Aaland Island and I have to fight a bureaucratic battle with our custom for each parcel arriving. A brake hose is probably one of the few things I can source locally, but many thanks anyway!

33 minutes ago, Roger said:

Thanks Paul, that's very kind of you. Bury St Edmunds is a long way from The Aaland Island and I have to fight a bureaucratic battle with our custom for each parcel arriving. A brake hose is probably one of the few things I can source locally, but many thanks anyway!

I thought you’d just be a Hermes delivery away 😱

Paul 

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

I think the following will fit , the hose is 23 cms long . I preferred a solid brake pipe . It’s surplus to me so if you want it it it would cost you just P & P 

Hi Paul, that would be really useful for me (looks like it's a straight fit?) if it's available?, please.

27 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Hi Paul, that would be really useful for me (looks like it's a straight fit?) if it's available?, please.

Hi Dave yes it’s available , send me you address ( WhatsApp ) and I’ll let you know the postage cost . Paul