SU float chamber valves.

Wagger

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

have you richened the mixture whilst using choke can disguise other problems  it does seem the basic setting is too lean 

along with duff condensers ...any back fires ???

Pete

I really need to do road test now Pete. Runs fine and will pull away well but the weather is against me. Trying to learn 'Zoom' today as my wife has a speed awareness course tomorrow.

Will have a go on Friday as it should be dry down here.

2 hours ago, Wagger said:

my wife has a speed awareness course tomorrow.

yes took awhile to get a proper one locally   was a room full of 34mph pensioners

been on a couple over the years , always amazed at the lack of brake distance awareness and totally hopeless at motorway lane and speed limits

out of 25 4 had to be told to speed up youre a hazard and 8 drove in the middle lane  which was "for cars"  Grrrr!!!!!!

its about time stupid TV adverts were replaced with   'the things you need to know '

Pete

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

always amazed at the lack of brke distance awareness

When I took my car driving test back in 70/71, I already have a motorbike licence, one of the  questions was on stopping distances. I gave the correct answer then the examiner asked me to point out something that was at roughly that distance from the car . . .Got that wrong. He said that he was just asking and it wasn't part of the test, nothing required a candidate to be able to show evidence of distance awareness . . . . . 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes took awhile to get a proper one locally   was a room full of 34mph pensioners

been on a couple over the years , always amazed at the lack of brake distance awareness and totally hopeless at motorway lane and speed limits

out of 25 4 had to be told to speed up youre a hazard and 8 drove in the middle lane  which was "for cars"  Grrrr!!!!!!

its about time stupid TV adverts were replaced with   'the things you need to know '

Pete

At present these are all 'Online' via Zoom. My wife is an urban driver only, hating motorways and dual carriageways. The camera caught her at 36 mph in a section of 30 max between two 40's. She is always being flashed for not doing 40!

It has been so complex that it would have been easier to pay the fine and only £40 more than the course. Unfortunately, keeping her licence clean may be essential if I don't stay healthy.

I must confess that I use lane 2 on the motorway mostly because lane 1 is rutted with potholes on the dreaded M23/A23. However, I do move over if someone is behind me. As a former biker, I always know if something is behind me. Not knowing was risking death. No good stopping sharpley when an HGV is behind you whatever you drive.

Never done one. But a pal did one, fell asleep at the back!. He reckoned it was the most boring couple of hours he`d ever spent!. The "plod" ** had one of those droning voices, and kept banging on about "speed kills". Err?? No, bad drivers kill, Usually the ones who don`t get caught by the camera, BUT perpetually drive with their minds elsewhere than on the Road and where the next hazard is, watching the speedo, and miss the hidden kid behind the parked vehicle?.

** He was allegedy the same one who subsequently lost his job for driving whilst drunk.

Motorway lane one is usually "tramlined" by trucks, you cannot run a line of 44t at 56mph 24/7 without creating ruts/grooves, which help break up the suraces, towing a trailer/caravan is a tiring business. 

Pete

Back to main topic. I removed the glass bowl pump, checked the valves and removed the spring in order to evaluate it. It was 2 ins long. I stretched it to 2.5 inches, re-assembled the pump and tested the presure on the bench. it was 2.5lbs using the lever. Before this, it was 2lb.

On the car and ticking over, it is now 1.9lb. (2.5lb using the priming lever).

A short road test between rain resulted in much better performance. It is now time to tune the carbs properly as Pete suggests. This was impossible before now.

Don't know how you all would survive here in Aus where you can pass on the inside or outside of the road, hey it works BUT you do get the idiots on the freeway who switch from the fast lane across the middle to the slow lane then back again just to get one car ahead, then there's the young chinese girl sat at 95kph in the outside fast 100kph lane, I'm doing the max speed so I'm staying here "no one should be going faster", then of course all modern speedo's except my Sprint read fast so  an indicated 105kph is actually 100! The Sprint reads low 100appears to be 105 probably due to the tyre choice! All I know is when I'm doing an indicated 100kph down the freeway in overdrive I'm passing everything, so I assume it reads low!!!

Returning to the main topic, again, I added a gallon of high octane, drove the car half a mile and it ran like a dog. I disconnected the fuel feed to the carbs and flushed fuel through by running the engine. I had used 'Reserve' last week. There appeared to be water in the fuel purged out. I switched back to 'Normal', drove for another half hour and it ran like a dream even though I'd adjusted nothing.

The tank had been drained, cleaned and dried six months ago.. All fuel has been added from a 10 litre can freshly filled. The car has been garaged all of that time, so where has the water come from? Is it all condensation or does the fuel evaporate and leave strange additives?

I will drain, clean and dry the tank again at the earliest opportunity. There is definitely a case for never using the reserve setting except for emptying residue.

but fuel 6 months ago was 95 E5  less of a water problem than this years  E10   i always use 97 E5  no problems to date 

dont dispel  poor cap sealing especially the filler neck is not damaged and not sealing as even car washing can dribble inside 

and contaminated fuel from the filling station as their tanks can have a good water content   with erratic supplies over the past few months many ran low 

and you get the dregs

i have the thoughts its more likely external problems rather than just the fuel which gets the blame 

Pete