Oily residue on carbs

rulloyd

Hi all.  Once more back to the TSSC oracle….

Following restoration of my GT6, I have yet to properly fettle my engine which is still in run in phase.  The engine was properly reconditioned and I refurbed the carbs & fuel pump myself.  I did set the carb floats height according to the W/shop manual.

I noticed that the carb to manifold gaskets were looking a little oily on top (pic 1) which led me to look closer and underneath the gasket area is very oily (oily gunge).  Seems to be worse towards the front.  Pics 2 & 3.  Wondering what this could be?

Possibly related.  When I first started the engine after rebuild, quite a lot of fuel washed out of the air intake side of the carb.    I also had a weird problem once after I parked up for 5 mins after a short run and the engine wouldn’t start (there’s a thread on this).  Now I wonder if it flooded.

I haven’t taken the air filters off to take a look yet.

As ever, all advice appreciated.

Rich

DC9D1B41-9EE0-4BEE-8C94-031593AA73AE.jpeg

17F87F9E-C479-4023-9D16-6A3C9548E766.jpeg

F3666D27-3120-488A-BB91-0B28858C4364.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would go along with its been flooding at some time  

pete

Thanks Pete.  What would you expect would cause flooding?  At one stage there was quite a lot of fuel dripping filter side but I thought it had cleared.  Seems pretty severe considering the joint should be leak proof.  Why would it seem oily?

many thanks 

Rich

I wonder if it could be coming from the spindle?  Seems a bit looser than I recall when I rebuilt them and there is definitely liquid around the holes that the spindle protrudes from.  Looks oily and smells oily but it must be petrol surely unless from the dashpots?  Confused 🤔