Newbie saying hello

Welcome Steve.

My son found my Vitesse Saloon with sunroof two years ago and paid under £2k for it. He sits on the internet all day long as it is his job. I was expecting a basket case, but I was pleasantly surprised. Good Chassis, Tatty doors, but now drive-able after a modest spend under another £2k. Surprisingly, it had a 2500TC engine, stronger gearbox and taller differential. Health issues made me choose to preserve it rather than embark on a lengthy restoration.

Check the body to chassis mounts, mine has two dodgy ones, Almost impossible to see with the sills on!

A Herald will be cheaper to run.

• Like 1

any buyers guide is a list of generic   look for's and listen out to's 

on the chassis look for rusty side rails under the sills   and the body mounts below the A posts can be rotten , also the chassis dip at the diff

as can boot extensions rails  .

body filler  base of door skins ,around the bonnet latches and wheel arches 

we could knock up a list which would be just depressing , 

the best rule is its more economical to fix mechanicals than body work 

and as my dad always told me  they have more reasons to sell it than you have to buy it   ....but be it Herald or Vitesse you  get the best smile when driving them

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi again

Following my introduction back in March ‘22 the temptation of owning a Vitesse has surfaced again, it hadn’t really gone away only finding a nice example locally is proving hard.

Ideally mk2, o/d, saloon. May consider an earlier model.

I am in Hastings so if anyone is fairly local and is considering selling theirs feel free to get in touch with details.

Steve.

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/classifieds_final.asp?classified_ID=9746
This one is right next door to you! Though is a convertible. There’s five on the TSSC site at the moment, the only saloon is down in Cornwall. 

Saloon on eBay in Crowborough which is not far from you either https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374691155333?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fpu4ls5itag&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=en_MztWYTyu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

Hi Josef

Thanks for that, I  have seen those ads you mentioned.

Quite liked the look of the blue one, did manage to view it at a nearby car show several weeks ago but sadly some future bodywork will be needed, and felt it was too overpriced imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visited a classic car show in Rye yesterday hoping to spot any Vitesses, to my surprise stumbled across a superb looking Mk1.

Although I’m preferring a mk2 saloon I think I could be tempted with this one. Very well cared for. I should have given them my number.

IMG_2989.thumb.jpeg.c8757d5b1081f0ccb9cde40c98e36fde.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just to wrap up this introduction,

I’ve finally bought myself a ‘69 mk 2 Vitesse saloon, needs a bit of tlc here and there. Something I hope I can deal with in time. The underneath looks to be very sound indeed and there have  been some nice mechanical upgrades made to it too.

At last I can finally stop the search for a car! only to be replaced for the search for bits and pieces!  A tan coloured carpet set is top of the list for starters 🙂

• Like 4