Vitesse mk2 front seat belts - size

Mabel

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer but here's hoping.... how long are the Vitesse mk2 1969 seat belts? I've inherited my dads car but I can't seem to get the seat belt to go around me ... 😕

I aren't the slimmest of all but I don't know whether I'm the problem or the seat belt is! It's a retractable belt, I wondered if it was perhaps caught and not being fully released... its a most embarrassing situation!! 

If it is the case of it being too short, anyone know the rules on seat belt extenders? 

Thanks in advance! 

Mabel

It is unlikely that they are O/E. In 1969, 3 point belts would have been of the "fixed" variety. So assuming they are a retrofit they will be attached to the mounting on the rear wheel arch. Or the base of the B post?. A photo of the mounting would be of assistance?.

Pete

As Pete says, they're not original equipment, so you need to identify which exact after-market one some PO has fitted. They probably bought the cheapest and didn't look at the spec. I had the same with my 2-door Toledo (fortunately the PO had kept to OE belts in a box, so I could put it back to static) - most after-market belts are actually sized for 4-door cars and will be too short for a 2-door. And measurement of an OE belt won't do you any good because they mount differently.

Ooh ok thanks ... i thought my extra kilos were the problem! 

I have no idea where they were fitted or which ones were put in. Dad bought it after it had been fully restored. 

Hopefully i can look at it when i go to the garage on Wednesday. 

I read that a 1969 car doesn't have to have seatbelts. But seen as though these have been added does that mean they have to be used? 

(We want seatbelts so will have the correct ones fitted when we can, but can we still use the car and not use these seatbelts in the mean time)? 

Front seat belts became compulsory in 1968 and were post-dated back to 1965, so a 1969 vehicle must have them. The legal requirement to wear them didn't actually appear until 1983 though.

However if you have them, they must work and you must wear them, so if you take the car out you must use them.

As the guys have already mentioned here it depends on where they're fitted but even if fitted right back in the wheelarches, and coming out through the rear side trims, they should be more than long enough. They might be sticking or twisted, especially if they've never been used beyond a certain extension before. Try pulling them out, gently, as far as they'll go and see if there's any more movement available.

I may be wrong on this but aren't Convertible and Saloon seat belts different lengths?

The convertible ones are longer (Fitted to rear Wheel arch) Saloon ones bolt just behind the 'B' Post if I remember correctly so are shorter

Maybe you have Saloon belts fitted to a Convertible?

Gary    

Look at Securons website for belt lengths, they also do an extender but is probably make specific.

http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm

Have the 514/30 in my Vitesse convertible, retractor on rear wheel arch, fine for me as I have the seat right back but might be short for the vertically challenged.

Have an extender on the passenger belt.

Regards

Paul.

We're up at the garage on Wednesday so I'll have a good nose around. I can't imagine that dad won't have used them knowing it was compulsory. He drove it quite often and did long (and nippy) trips out with the TR5 chaps. Dad wasnt what you'd call the slimmest gentleman. 

I have learned something else new from your messages which is a huge relief.... the seats are adjustable!! Woohooo!

After dad died I sold his other cars but wanted to keep the vitesse (convertible). I exported it from the UK over to me in Holland. It took forever! Once it was sorted i managed to get a quick drive in but faced a number of issues that made me worry I'd done the wrong thing keeping it.... the seatbelt issue was one, but the fact i couldnt reach the pedals was another huge disappointment. I stuck my bag behind me for my quick testdrive but am thrilled to find out the seats actually move! Another problem is going to be fitting the family in it .... hihihi a husband and 14 yr old who are above  6 foot and a 12 yr old who isnt far behind... going to be a bit too cosy! Good job its a convertible. 

Gonna be beautiful weather this week so she's coming out of her winter sleep and we're going to have a few practice runs..  driving a right-hand drive car in Holland is challenging at the best of times, best make sure we know the basics after all the effort it took to get her here!

• Like 1

Hi, i thought I'd let you know... i went to see the car today.... the seatbelts are useless and definitely need replacing. I did manage to get it to go around me which was a relief...but they aren't the retractable ones so when i need to turn around (especially with driving on the opposite side), well i get stuck. 

We'll have to get them replaced. 

20220323_111238.jpg

20220323_111245.jpg

20220323_111235.jpg

20220323_111228.jpg