Spitfire MkIV/1500 soft top drip

Mjit

Had a drive out in my Spitfire the other day to get a new, custom exhaust fitted - I do a lot of long drives and have just gotten too old to do them with a wheelbarrow sports exhaust.

The exhaust is great and looks like it will tick all my boxes so far, but that's not what this thread is about. No, it's about the fact part of it was my first wet weather drive for some time and I'd forgotten just how annoying the constant drip I get from the front corner of the hood and onto the middle of my outside upper thigh!

The drip forms/falls from the 'loop' at the end of the alloy windscreen capping, where the top end of the door apeture seal ends.

Is it just a case of "They all do that, sir." or are there any tweaks to mitigate it?

The “obligatory” black bin liner solves most small “drip” issues I found?.

In the tropic monsoons the sight of several Matelots, heading for the nearest watering hole wearing bin liners with the top suitably modified was not an uncommon sight.

Pete

I've always followed Ford Prefect's advice - Always know where your towel is.

If it's sunny - it's between the hood rear window and the folded in side window flaps to stop the latter scratching the former.

If it's cold - it's at hand to wipe the windscreen.

And if it's raining - it's draped over the right leg catching the drips.

The hood fit is actually fine. I think it's just water pushed up into the corners of the windscreen. From there it's pushed over the windscreen rubber and into the gap between screen frame and alloy capping.  As the capping is sealed onto the frame the water channels to either side, ending up in the ends and inside the door glass. With no airflow to push it anywhere else it just drips down, inside the car.

I guess maybe the tip of the door seal is meant to go right up in there (I know mine stop just shy) and push it outside the side glass...or would that just try and force it between door seal and inside of door glass?

Many many years ago, Lady BW and I were out it the Spitfire when the rainstorm from hell occurred. That was the time that I realised that I should have replaced the windscreen/soft top header rail rubber seal. The old one had gone hard but so what, it looks ok, but no. It sealed only in places and every time we went around a corner and the water ran from one side of the seal to the other it, of course found the gaps. Yes, you've got to know where your towel is, especially in a soft top. Seal replaced shortly after that. 

My first Spit did this.

I added a layer of door Draft Excluder (something like below) and made sure it was a bit longer than the header seal. The added pressure sorted all drips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234267786005?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=eBGhP1dkRam&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MNcX2WCaSMa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY