Front wheel bearing side thrust

and people think i stretch the problems  it happens  !!!!!!!!!

pleased you escaped without too much grief 

im sure stick with the rattling good fit design and it only lasted 50 years 

rear hubs geta squiter of grease in the service schedule front hubs dont and the float gives the shuffle needed to spread the grease

into the race 

its not rocket science 

all the bearing life and lubrication took years of testing and appraisal which we cannot hope to replecate 

whats in the manual does as Triumph designed   being clever doesnt always work out well   

you know me  a avid hate of MUST HAVES    sorry they all cause grief in the end

Pete

18 minutes ago, Mjit said:

And sometimes a friendly MOT tester will tell you "There was too much play in the front wheels so I tightened them up for you".  I though that was great service...till the d/s outer race friction welded itself to the stub axel a couple of days later, on the motorway (thankfully only at ~40mph), snapping the axel.  Thankfully the brake disk/caliper were strong-enough to keep the wheel on and the weight on the inner race...

Sounds like a good argument to fit one of these kits so MOT testers wont go whacking up our wheel bearings😂 

I used this Shacktune kit but shimmed it up so I had 0.002" free play.

This was used in conjunction with new stub axles and bearings, as the old stub axles were quite worn where the inner part of the bearing had been rotating. (190K miles though to be fair). Vertical links also replaced. Paranoid me!!?

IIRC the likes of the MGB use the spacer as part of the standard set up.

Ian

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and people think i stretch the problems  it happens  !!!!!!!!!

pleased you escaped without too much grief 

im sure stick with the rattling good fit design and it only lasted 50 years 

rear hubs geta squiter of grease in the service schedule front hubs dont and the float gives the shuffle needed to spread the grease

into the race 

its not rocket science 

all the bearing life and lubrication took years of testing and appraisal which we cannot hope to replecate 

whats in the manual does as Triumph designed   being clever doesnt always work out well   

you know me  a avid hate of MUST HAVES    sorry they all cause grief in the end

Pete

Hi Pete , can you grease the rear hubs on a Mk2 Vitesse. ?

Paul 

4 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

I used this Shacktune kit but shimmed it up so I had 0.002" free play.

This was used in conjunction with new stub axles and bearings, as the old stub axles were quite worn where the inner part of the bearing had been rotating. (190K miles though to be fair). Vertical links also replaced. Paranoid me!!?

IIRC the likes of the MGB use the spacer as part of the standard set up.

Ian

I put one of the Shacktune kits on my Spitfire a few weeks before the last CT Ten Countries event. The kit is very well engineered and works perfectly. There is none of the front brake pad knockback as before and so you get instant front brakes. We did the whole event with no problems.

But, as soon as we got home I took them off and reverted back to standard; I just didn't like the new "feel" and missed the slightly longer pedal action. It just didn't feel like the car I'd known and loved for 40 odd years. All this sounds a bit stupid I know, but I'm happier with it back as it was.

I’ve also just fitted the Shacktune conversion on my Mk2 Vitesse . Well machined and enough shims to achieve the correct spec . A 5 mile test and early days the steering feels tighter and more precise. I use a temperature laser gun ( Aldi £15ish) to monitor bearing temperatures and so far it’s fine . I initially used the gun to set the rear brake shoes . Initially one side was binding and burnt my hand checking the hub so now use the laser gun . D23D4798-7864-4D1A-9D6B-2F4105C725F6.jpeg.3ee1e99e83bb86c2a0d0295f6ccd3cf0.jpeg

Paul