Seen To-day.

PeteH

Sorry, Should have said it was a Bedford. Drove a LWB version as a Coal Lorry back in the 60`s, When on leave from the M-N. Definitely didn`t look that good.😁

The G-M influence does show though.

Pete

better known as the Bedford TJ    30cwt to 7 ton 

last made by Marshals in 1998 not popular in UK  most were exported 

Bedfords    mostly made over the  road to the Commer factory in Dunstable 

two large plants now Sainsbury and Amazon  

Commer superpoise  of the same era 

Im09DSF-Comp171-64.jpg

pete

The Coal Merchant, I did a bit of Driving for had 3 "lorries", back then One similar but LWB to that one, a Ford D4. And a Commer?. Drove them all at one time or another. An "Uncle" (big pal of my Grandfather), Ran a series of Tipper`s in a Quarry, mostly ex W-D or American. I learned to drive in that quarry 13/14 years old, Huge Steering wheels "Crash" gears, and absolutely NO power assist anywhere!. As Wagger said, few if any Artic`s. Mostly 4-axle 12 wheel and Drawbar Trailers. They where "interesting" to try reversing, with 2 pivoting points.

Pete

The first truck I drove was a Bedford J when i was doing my time at the local power board.
A company I worked with had a TM with box body that we drove all over the country, I took it on its last trip for the company and it was just a cab and chassis by then.
It had the Detroit 671 2 smoke engine and a road ranger ( cant remember if it was a 13 or 15 speed, definitely not a 9 or 18) with out a body it was brisk rig.

• 2 weeks later...

But nothing quite like dropping the change on an Eaton 2 speed diff while driving through a tunnel and having to stop to reengage.
Company I work with has a Scania with one of those boxes, problem is not many of us can drive it and as I do so rarely it takes a while to get re-accustomed.
Doesnt help that leaving the yard is narrow residential then a main road with traffic crawl climb up to a narrow tunnel with one lane each way, forget looking in the mirrors its all about what coming the other way as 2 trucks just scrape past each other

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...