Wind deflector for Vit CV

trigolf

Evening all. I'd like to fit a wind deflector to stop me getting a stiff neck on longer runs. I've seen the ridiculously expensive perpex type from a large supplier. I don't like it anyway, never mind the price. I'm wondering about a s/h MGF mesh item and modding it to fit, when required, but removable. Anyone tried an MGF one?

A well-timed post; I need one after the other half complained bitterly following a long run in the convertible at the weekend. I'm not paying £400 for one, either... 

We have a few home-made versions over here, just a cut-to-shape perspex sheet in a metal frame. The anchor points for the one I photographed a few years back were brackets attached to the convertible rail and down the b-posts, and included tubes so that the screen legs could be slotted down into them, or removed completely. I need to make one myself, fairly urgently, so will be checking this one again later for more ideas.

DSCF5013.jpg.567dd3e3c8cca748728495f3aa66b052.jpg  DSCF5014.jpg.224143f24d097ea39e01185b3c76c5ea.jpg

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Plus chic, n'est-ce pas?

Might keep your neck warm too.   A helmet, I mean.

John

Tres chic!

From her complaint after about 10 miles of driving I expected her face to have the same texture as that model.

Two coats, a scarf, a woolly hat and the hood on the top coat pulled up and she's still cold, whereas I was commenting on how warm the air was.

I've measured the Herald as 48 inches across; off to the mate's scrappy tomorrow to see what modern he has with a deflector that may be useable.

Having had only one convertible, long ago, I would settle for a sunroof anytime instead. I have had two Webasto's and a full pan roof on a modern. Very good for transporting trees. I had to be careful not to use it a a mobile skip though.

My mates wife in the TR4 just slides down the seat till her head is protected by the seat back, unfortunately it doesn't stop her mouth moving and complaining! Mind you he deserves it as he won't fit the Surrey Top!

really she's a great lass just likes to have the last word, a text message goes on forever even a friendly one!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one on my Herald and it's from an Audi A3.  It needed modifying to make it narrower.  This was done by a mate in our area.  There's no fitting needed as it just tucks under the hood cover.  It can also stay in place if you need to put the hood up. It's also really light and if needed folds up and goes in the boot.  Much better than the perspex one I had previously

IMG_20220704_172254.jpg

IMG_20220704_172246.jpg

IMG_20220704_172313.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trigolf said:

That looks like a very neat job. When you say it needed narrowing, I presume you took a bit out of the overall width in the centre?

Gav

Yes I think so, my mate made two of them but I didn't see him do it. I believe he narrowed it in the centre and he also cut down the mesh material. They come up on eBay from time to time, you just need to be lucky and get one for a reasonable price 👍