Headlamp Bezels

Paul Amey

theres also the quality to consider as theres chrome and theres chrome! Dont know about bezels but the replacement overriders available have nothing like the chrome of the originals so can deteriorate pretty quickly. However if its never going to get wet and is polished every weekend there shouldnt be a problem👍 

33 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

for the head lamp rim/bezel  why not a chrome effect aerosol  paint job   not much is on show  ona vitesse 

Pete

Can anyone recommend a decent 'chrome' spray. Everything that I have tried comes out a sort of dull silver, not shiny. Trying to do a speed bezel. The example on the rattle can looks great but not the real end result.

3 hours ago, johny said:

theres also the quality to consider as theres chrome and theres chrome! Dont know about bezels but the replacement overriders available have nothing like the chrome of the originals so can deteriorate pretty quickly. However if its never going to get wet and is polished every weekend there shouldnt be a problem👍 

Yes I agree on quality. But I think the one's I have are after market anyway. Also I've just noticed one of them is damaged.

10 hours ago, johny said:

Well dont know but quality chroming has a reputation for being pretty expensive especially for small quantities. Of course it also depends on the condition of the items to be chromed... 

I watched 'Salvage Hunters Classic Cars' and they were having headlamp rings rechromed, at quite an expense. I didn't find it value for money especially as they were having the rusty bits cut out and replaced, again at great expense. I fitted replacements to my GT6 and they lasted twenty years with just a slight trace of rust on the lower edge where water collected.

Many, many years ago a good friend of mine had a haulage business. Every six months or so he would sent out all his damaged chrome work to be rechromed. His daughter, who rode, used to include all her discarded horse shoes with the order. She said it was a handy present for friends getting married (the shoes not a bumper!!). Those were the days. All gone now.

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I watched 'Salvage Hunters Classic Cars' and they were having headlamp rings rechromed, at quite an expense. I didn't find it value for money especially as they were having the rusty bits cut out and replaced, again at great expense. I fitted replacements to my GT6 and they lasted twenty years with just a slight trace of rust on the lower edge where water collected.

Thanks, yeah, I'll probably replace them.

10 hours ago, Josef said:

The ones I bought recently for the Spit were not set up for the clips the headlamp bowls had fitted, so I had to modify…

Depends on who you buy them from; Minis for example use the same sort of thing but with different tab spacing. If you buy specifically for Triumph they should be okay but beware the ads that state 'used on many classic cars of the period' or the like. I've been caught out before, too.

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Depends on who you buy them from; Minis for example use the same sort of thing but with different tab spacing. If you buy specifically for Triumph they should be okay but beware the ads that state 'used on many classic cars of the period' or the like. I've been caught out before, too.

Also depends on what bowls are fitted too I guess. I suspect I didn’t have Triumph original style of either bowl or ring.