herald 12/50 sunroof

foshi

1 hour ago, foshi said:

thank you paul had just done exactly that 4 bolts though as you say easy when you know how .

Just replaced the top vinyl on my Vitesse and refurbed another. New headlining and new top cover for my son’s MGBgt . Any more info you need just let me know 

Paul 

sunroof back in only problem think during its 40 year storage it has shrunk a bit. was around 10mm from closing left in the sun 2hours managed to close it help of grips just hoping might stretch back ? hope so really nice condition and sits well on the roof no gaps .only part not happy with is the close open handle looks very fragile anyone know if you can buy replacements, paul

1 hour ago, foshi said:

sunroof back in only problem think during its 40 year storage it has shrunk a bit. was around 10mm from closing left in the sun 2hours managed to close it help of grips just hoping might stretch back ? hope so really nice condition and sits well on the roof no gaps .only part not happy with is the close open handle looks very fragile anyone know if you can buy replacements, paul

Need a pic to advise plus a pic of the roof fittings . Is it all one piece or 4 sections as you might be able to bring the roof forward . The sun will certainly stretch so leave as long as possible 

Paul 

1 minute ago, foshi said:

sun done the job working fine now it is a weathershields  same as the one originally fitted think may be made by britax 

Is it a single recessed handle ? If so these crop up on EBay from time to time £50 ish . 
Paul 

Just now, foshi said:

no it is like a thumb turn type . the one on my original was like a lever handle , that snapped off leaving the metal pins inside it .

That’s like mine . Never seen one come up on resale . Look after it 

Paul 

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

My first Vitesse had one like that. The plastic handle broke so I fabricated a wooden one, which worked fine.

Interesting. Would look posh if smooth and varnished I imagine. Or some appropriate painting to re create original?.

Out of interest, as I would like to install a sunroof on 67 Vit (if I have the time and can find one at a good price?) though it needs to be age appropriate for me, which is I understand the wing nut style?. Is it possible to interchange the different 60's style handles/modify etc to accept the above does anyone know?

The recessed handle, 70's sunroof, maybe a totally different arrangement to modify for earlier style?.

Bit specialized this, but any advice great. 

Thanks, Dave