Help identify this flywheel

DJB350Z

• 4 weeks later...

The flywheel arrived but the bolts that fix it to the crank don't go through the holes. 

##Seems the shoulder of the bolt (where there's no thread) is tapered outwards by a fractional amount.##

^Edit: I was mistaken. The bolts aren't going through at all. Apologies, the message was lost in translation when my dad was explaining to me the issue!

1. Would this news indicate an early 2l?

2. Could I just machine out the bolt holes?

3. Would I be better sourcing an actual mk3 gt6 item, if I can find one?

What size bolts are they? I don't think the holes were tapered, but the very early 2L retained the 1600's 3/8" UNF whereas later 2L (and all 2.5L) used 7/16"UNF. You could machine the holes but the very early flywheel is rare and occasionally sought-after. I sourced a late one (from TRGB) and then sold on my early one to somebody that needed it.

I'd be happier with the proper MK3 version, if only for simplicity - will the clutch fit this one, or do you know which clutch will fit?

I think there are two different types of Herald flywheel attachment at least, one where the bolts are tapered and one where the bolts go straight through and require a locking tab. These early tabs are unavailable now so everyone just uses the later tapered bolts, 138526, and the flywheel accepts both. Other cars may be the same?

I think bolts for Gt6 or Vitesse are 3/8 UNF but the large saloons use 7/16. You can certainly machine out the holes to whatever suits your crank.

The bolts I have are 7/16" UNF.

I haven't ID'd the clutch that PO supplied yet but the wear on the flywheel does seem to marry up with the clutch. Not conclusive proof I know..

I'm not sure what to do. I've struggled to find a used GT6 flywheel, and I'm not interested in spending £400 on a new lightened alloy type one right now.

Machining might be a temp solution, but even if I do that I guess I might run into issues with the starter motor.

I have a 2.5 engine, and a GT6 gearbox so just need something to sandwich in! :D

8 minutes ago, NonMember said:

That slightly surprises me - TRGB had a shed full when I needed one. The Vitesse and GT6 flywheels are identical (for a given age, see comments above about 1600/early Mk1)

I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they say. 

26 minutes ago, DJB350Z said:

The bolts I have are 7/16" UNF.

I haven't ID'd the clutch that PO supplied yet but the wear on the flywheel does seem to marry up with the clutch. Not conclusive proof I know..

I'm not sure what to do. I've struggled to find a used GT6 flywheel, and I'm not interested in spending £400 on a new lightened alloy type one right now.

Machining might be a temp solution, but even if I do that I guess I might run into issues with the starter motor.

I have a 2.5 engine, and a GT6 gearbox so just need something to sandwich in! :D

My manual says 3/8 for all 2L sixes except the MK3 GT6 which used 7/16. The clutch should be the same 8.5" size for for all 2L and 2.5 engines... 

1 hour ago, johny said:

My manual says 3/8 for all 2L sixes except the MK3 GT6 which used 7/16. The clutch should be the same 8.5" size for for all 2L and 2.5 engines... 

That's kinda what I was thinking when looking at mine. What's puzzling is that the bolt holes in the flywheel I have are far far closer to 7/16" than 3/8".

If I have luck sourcing a GT6 item from TRGB at least I can compare them.

1 hour ago, johny said:

My manual says 3/8 for all 2L sixes except the MK3 GT6 which used 7/16.

The WSM is frequently inaccurate with developments during production. The small flywheel bolts were only used up to KC4500 - fairly early Mk1 - and the equivalent. It goes with the small bearing crank.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DJB350Z said:

The flywheel arrived but the bolts that fix it to the crank don't go fully through the holes. 

Seems the shoulder of the bolt (where there's no thread) is tapered outwards by a fractional amount.

Are these the correct bolts because I thought they would be the same diameter all the way along with no shoulder? The location of the flywheel is done by its fit on the crank boss and the dowl although the manual does specify the bolts are 1.06" long....

Edit: I was mistaken.. The 7/16" bolts I have aren't going through at all.

Apologies, the message was lost in translation when my dad was explaining to me the issue! Engine is in his garage at the moment so I couldn't see first hand.

I went over to take some photos just now of the bolts I have.

20220930_162546.thumb.jpg.57c9f79b3018734ab2395cd2a01cf13a.jpg

20220930_162626.thumb.jpg.fb289c57e826e7c8622476ded0ffd5ff.jpg

I measured the ID of the flywheel holes with verniers and got 10mm. I think that means then that a 3/8" bolt will fit, and if so, I in fact have an early GT6 flywheel. Right? 😆

Those holes will drill out with a hand held drill at home. The drill will centre nicely, though a pillar drill would be better if available.

The flywheel may even be lighter? not sure about that though somebody will know. 

My only conv=cern would be if it were a vitesse 1600 flywheel, not sure if that clutch is the same but I suspect it is a coil spring clutch