Timing cover tabs

DJB350Z

Hey,

I'm in the market for a timing cover and although it looks like compatibility is good between Triumph models I've noticed they have different tabs on the face of them sometimes. 

1. What are the tabs for?

2. Are the differences significant in some way?

As an example, here's 2 pictures of a couple on eBay right now.

Screenshot_20220919_203457.thumb.jpg.e67b6f58ddbb6a37f6d319fc7a2a78c0.jpgScreenshot_20220919_203437.thumb.jpg.eeea10d1eb06d0f17f4850b269805fe6.jpg

Just different indicators intended to show the position of piston 1. However the first can be used with any crank pulley ie one that has multiple marks or just one whereas the second cover can only be used with a multiple mark pulley.

If you try to use the second with a pulley intended for the first type you'll only be able to find top dead centre of the piston and not its degrees of rotation before that point you need to set the ignition timing....   

• Thanks 1

Johny’s right, but I’m pretty certain engines were shipped with single pointer cam covers and singly marked pulleys. Both my 13/60 (which is pretty original) and Mk3 Spitfire (which isn’t!) are like this. Though if you’re choosing a replacement I’d probably go for the later type, your first picture, as it is a bit more user friendly. 

They changed the pointer when they went from small to large crank (4 cyl), the hole is a different size so they are not interchangeable as the crank pulley is a different diameter and the crank is a different diameter so the pulleys are not interchangeable either. single pointer = early small crank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DanMi said:

They changed the pointer when they went from small to large crank (4 cyl), the hole is a different size so they are not interchangeable as the crank pulley is a different diameter and the crank is a different diameter so the pulleys are not interchangeable either. single pointer = early small crank

Yes it looks quite confusing as Rimmers list 4 different part numbers for Herald timing covers and theres obviously different seal sizes and pointer designs. Certainly my Vitesse cylinder cover has a single pointer but I think is the same cover as the large crank 4 cylinder type so before buying any cover you need to check both pointer suitability AND seal size...

For Heralds Rimmers list all of the following for 13/60 GK engines but thats an error as the third one here definitely isnt:

217790U used, available (single pointer, large seal?),                                                                                                                                                          217790DOLU used, available (multi pointer, large seal?),                                                                                                                                                                  201311U used, available (single pointer, early type with small seal?),                                                                                                                                                217069 new, not available (unknown pointer, small seal?)

2 hours ago, johny said:

Believe DJB has a 1973 GT6 which presumably has a multi mark pulley so I guess any cover with a large seal should be suitable. Course would then be a good idea to confirm that TDC of piston one corresponds with the indications...

I have a 1973 GT6 with a 2.5 PI engine.

I've purchased a multi mark cover which was cheap enough to take a punt on. Will report back with findings but fingers crossed the seal diameter is ok.

Thanks again for insights.

• 3 months later...

Well it arrived long ago now, and it was in a bit of a sorry state.

I cleaned it up best I could, replaced the oil seal and tensioner and then finished it with a coat of paint.

It's not perfect but hopefully usable. The degrees marked on the tab are barely visible, but I hope between that and the multi mark pulley I have I can make it all work.

Four cylinder Triumphs had solid front pulleys, that had TDC and/or timing marks on their rim.  But the sixes had a damper pulley.

This was deemed necessary, as the longer crank would have lower harmonics, into the projected rev range.   The pulley had a solid hub and an outer 'inertia' ring, held together by a band of rubber.   The compliance of the rubber would absorb energy and damp it out, to prevent Torsion vibration.

The rubber was little different from tyre rubber, and in the heat and oil of the engine bay, it tends to deteriorate.    In a survey, up to 20% of dampers had lost damping capability and some can lose adhesion.   If that happens, the outer ring turns and the timing marks become nonsense!

Always worth checking that TDC by pulley coincides with TDC as found by, say, a piston stop.

I can test a pulley for damper function, on my instrumented engine rig.  Glad to do so for anyone who fears their pulley is faulty.

John

• Like 2

John,

Did ALL the 6`s have damper pulleys? or just the later one`s?. I don`t recolect SWMBO`s 2L 6, (steel Fan) being so fitted?.

There was I believe, a lengthy discoures on the "damper" subject, Here or in Courier?. a few years back?.

Pete

all the six's have a metalastic bonded damper ring  (with the timing degrees )  the only problem is the bonding can fail and the ring and its timing marks all move around 

had this on my 1600 way back and JohnD has a damper harmonics testing rig to prove them ok or failed  

on mine you could rotate the ring by hand  makes TDC quite entertaining 

Pete

Just as any too old tyre, or elderly rad hose gets stiff and brittle, so may the rubber in the damper.  That uses the 'rubberyness' ( hysteresis) of the rubber to absorb vibration energy and damp it out.  Stiffened rubber can't do that.

A pulley whose outer ring can be turned by hand!!!!!   Somewhat of a danger, methinks!    It has happened that the outer takes off at speed!  About a kilogram of metal at say 4K rpm would be like an armour piercing shell, ricocheting around the engine compartment!

As said, ALL sixes had a damper pulley.   Today ALL engines have one, in aid of the quest for minimal 'Noise, Vibration and Harshness'.  But then it was an engineering and engine design decision.   I had an article the Courier on Torsional Vibration a couple of years ago, QV.

John

54 minutes ago, johny said:

2L could certainly be smoother

most 6s seem to have a bit of a rythmical vibro period mid range  

Knowing your inputs here  Im sure your tappets and timing are spot on 

one thing that seems to complement this is worn timming chains which get longer  as the links wear make the valve timing a bit late 

but with christmas theres little else to dream about   

ive tried me socks on and just wait the crown to cook through  

the joy of not having turkey sandwiches in the lunch box is .....imeasureable  !!!

regards Pete

A straight six cylinder engine - any straight six - has the smoothest design of any other.  Within reason - straight twelve, anyone?    

Others suffer from various moments as their reciprocating parts rotate, but in a six  they all cancel out.  Primary and secondary balance is important, but here we speak of torsional vibration, that can potentially damage to the crankshaft.