Tachometer Issue

mbullyb

Hi, ive just replaced a tachometer that didnt work in my Spitfire 1500. I brought the replacement tacho off ebay and it was sold as working. Ive connected it up as per the original but as soon as the ignition is switched on the  needle moves to the 70 position and remains there, any ideas?

I have two green wires which connect to the spade terminal, a white and black wire to the bullet terminal and two black wires to the body earth?

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

Should be green (12V-Ignition) to a terminal.

Should be black (ground) to body.

Should be green/grey (-ve of coil) to a terminal

With just the green and black connected the needle should not move. If the two wires are on the correct terminals and it does not read zero; it's kaput. 

If it is faulty the few electronics inside could be fixed by a competent electronics person. Suspect a cap has gone short.

Cheers,

Iain.

Have you taken it apart to see what type, shape and markings of capacitors are currently fitted as there are different types for different purposes, also some are polarised such as electrothic so you need to ensure you get them round the right way. Looking at the diagram 47 uF is polarised and most likely electrothic, the other are probably standard ceramic.

I use CPC as they have everything and also free del do a search here http://cpc.farnell.com/components-passive_capacitors

Can you take a pic of them?

Bit of thread drift In my day coloured rings were on restistors the colours and bands code the rating

then capacitors were called condensers and valves had a 6v heater and 90v ht

portable radio needed a barrow due to battery weights

if you went to sleep listening to the goon show on a crystal set the earphones made your ears flat

then came along a transistor one xb104 would run a small speaker .....from a new idea a pp3 battery

now wheres that got me

pete

Yes the coloured stripes indicate they are actually resistors. They rarely fail.

Is there any obvious damage to any components or any leaking? Check the reverse solder side for any joints that look bad or are broken.

If you can post some clear pics then I can tell you what you need.

Mark, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code#Capacitor_color-coding (or use your favourite search engine to look for similar explanations). Choose a voltage rating in excess of the highest voltage it will ever see - I would choose double or more as this will make the component 10-times more reliable!

Iain, the chip is a Texas custom job for Smiths. I searched loads of data books and never found it! I'm trying to remember the name of the TSSC Model Officer (can't remember the model either) who found the part, drew the diagram *AND* the component to change to convert the number of cylinders.

Richard

PS: Simon, capacitor values used to be marked with colours too. Mark, give us a picture of the component/circuit board if you need help identifying it.

Lovely "Liquorice Allsort" polyester capacitors!

OK, that first one - the wide red band is actually two reds - so it's red, red, orange, or 2, 2, 3. That's 22 and three noughts, giving 22,000pF (colour stripes and surface-mount capacitor values are givien in picofarads) However, it's more sensible to refer to this value as 22nF or, as on the circuit diagram above, 0.022uF - it's just different ways of saying the same value!

The second one is brown, black yellow or 1, 0 followed by 4 noughts (i.e. 5 noughts in total) which gives 100,000pF. As above, it's more usual to say 100nF or 0.1uF.

In both cases, the last two bands are black, red. So it looks like the tolerance is 20% (black) and the red means it's 250V (I had to look that one up!). I wondered why the voltage rating was so high. Polyester capacitors just aren't made in very low voltages, but it may also be because that first one is seeing all the spikes on the ignition so the designers chose a robust higher voltage part - and made all the others the same!!!

You don't *have* to replace them with polyester, but it would be a good choice for this application.

Hope this helps,

Richard