Shock advice required

Anyone recommend new rear shocks for my 13/60 as i am rebuilding after completing the front.Preferably adjustable damping.

It`s standard swing axle at present BUT, I will be converting to Roto-CV shafts soon so they need to fit with that when I change the wishbones.

Also it will have a Courier spring with 1 inch lowering block.

I have the same setup on my MK 1 Vitesse but that has Spax from 1986 so I`m sure a lot has changed in availability.

Cheers

Steve

had spax on the Vit6 with courier and 1" block   seemed to always be twiddling as was either too hard or too soft   & never " right" for all uses 

adjustable  great idea  ..... but to what we dont have a chassis dyno to measure the bump and rebound  loads  it becomes a trial and error excercise 

Pete

a good make of fixed spec dampers is what i would go for in the next life ( luckily i dont have that problem with the 2000)

Ok I`m going Koni, (sorry Pete).

Would it be GDA4011 for non roto Herald/Vit or 80-1717 for Mini as mentioned in other topics for Roto using the MK 1 top mounts with no extension brackets?.

My Vitesse uses the same shocks as before when I CV`d it so i guess the GDA4011?..

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Steve

I used Koni 80-1717 on my GT6 mk2.

I think these would be OK with the standard chassis mount, although we fabricated an extension bracket which gets the unit slightly more vertical and accommodates the slight fore/aft misalignment alignment between the original mount and the roto vertical link.

Drawing attached in case of interest.

Ian

GT6-Damper Bracket.pdf

On 27/11/2022 at 12:21, Steve P said:

Ok I`m going Koni, (sorry Pete).

Would it be GDA4011 for non roto Herald/Vit or 80-1717 for Mini as mentioned in other topics for Roto using the MK 1 top mounts with no extension brackets?.

My Vitesse uses the same shocks as before when I CV`d it so i guess the GDA4011?..

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

As you've probably read in previous posts, I fitted the 80-1717 Koni Dampers to my old Mk2 Vitesse with Roto-flex couplings but used the extension brackets to ensure they cleared the drive couplings.

They worked well with a smooth controlled ride without any adjustment and I experienced no bottoming out of the Dampers even when 4 up.

I'm not sure if they will be the correct open and closed length if you used the original Chassis top mounts though, you will find if you use the standard Koni dampers specified for the Herald/Vitesse they will bottom out on full travel over potholes/bad bumps/etc (They are the incorrect closed length I believe) 

When using the 80-1717 (which are actually meant for the front of a Classic Mini) you have to drill out the bottom bush slightly and change the Top Bushes for Superflex two part top-hat bushes with some spacer washers when using the original shouldered type top bolts and the top extension brackets, a search on here will show you how I fitted them to my car

Regards