Sunroof delete

DJB350Z

I had a Renault Laguna where the sunroof broke and wouldn't wind open; Dealer sold it to me anyway and told me it was too expensive to fix but no big deal as it wasn't leaking, and when it came to trade in he'd take it into account. The b***** did, too. When I traded it in he told me no-one would buy a car with a broken sunroof and gave me a really poor price for the car.

My wife's had Jags for the last 40 years always with steel or glass sunroofs never a leak, similarly my last 10 Exec work vehicles (Aus made) had sunroofs no leaks, BUT my so had an Alfa 33 only a few years old with a factory tilt and remove glass sunroof it just rusted out along the front section what a bug++r to cut out and weld in, well it was an Alfa & went faster every day as it got lighter!

In the 50's as a kid must have started when I was around 10 I remember pre summer having to clean out the sunroof guides on dad's Rovers and Jags and talc the rubber seals to stop them vulcanising to the steel! How come my big brother (8 yrs older) never had to do it! 

Current Mazda has no Sunroof & I don't miss it! a good air con & thro ventilation makes up for it, interestingly I don't think the Mazda's air con is as effective in quick cooling as the wife's last X type, it could freeze you all over at over 40C outside, 

THE, most usefull thing about air-con, is the ability to clear the windshield quickly!. Full heat and the a-c, the mist disapears!.

I often turned it off on my Toyota (Tacoma), in the USA, even in late spring/early Autumn. But Houston in Mid summer is so "wet" it`s A/C, or just become a blob in the driver seat. I once, ran both Roof Air conditioners on the generator for 2 full days going North from Houston in July in the R-V on our way to North Dakota, even then they where struggling.

Pete

If you can track down someone with and english wheel they should be able to create the correct contour roof panel for you.
But what no one has mentioned is to turn it into a convertible using a Spitfire rear tub............................................................ I will get my coat.
Strangely I never get on with sunroofs as they take headroom away as the frames are generally where my head needs to be to operate the car properly apart from the original Fiat Bambinas I used to drive as a kid, I would stick my head up through the opening