Worrying noise

cliff.b

Its an engine oil and should be thicker than yours when hot so giving a higher minimum oil pressure which may or may not reduce the noise. Once this test has discounted the bearings as the problem or you have replaced them you can change to any oil you wish👍 

I've not tried that particular oil but Millers are generally good, and the Penrite 20W60 definitely gives better pressure (and longevity) than any of the 20/50 oils I've tried. I don't recall what oil @cliff.b is currently using - Castrol Classic? Personally I haven't used any oil sold as "Castrol" since the early 1990s when I concluded that all of the Triumphs I had at the time ran far better on Duckhams.

39 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I've not tried that particular oil but Millers are generally good, and the Penrite 20W60 definitely gives better pressure (and longevity) than any of the 20/50 oils I've tried. I don't recall what oil @cliff.b is currently using - Castrol Classic? Personally I haven't used any oil sold as "Castrol" since the early 1990s when I concluded that all of the Triumphs I had at the time ran far better on Duckhams.

Yes, Castrol Classic which I believe is marketed as being as good as it always has been. Also, to prove its heritage, I presume, they sell it by the gallon, which as we all know is less than the 5 litres the can holds lol. 

9 hours ago, cliff.b said:

marketed as being as good as it always has been

Yes, well... as I said, in the early 1990s I concluded that Castrol GTX was no good for Triumphs, Duckhams Q being far better, so I wouldn't regard "as good as it always was" as a recommendation for Castrol.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Yes, well... as I said, in the early 1990s I concluded that Castrol GTX was no good for Triumphs, Duckhams Q being far better, so I wouldn't regard "as good as it always was" as a recommendation for Castrol.

I will report back with my observations when I get around to changing it. Meanwhile, I will have to remember to drive more sedately 🥱

Just a further update, the noise was apparent today and as I was close to a well known classic vehicle restoration company I took it in and asked if they would have a listen.

Other than agreeing that the noise seems to be coming from the middle of the engine block, they seemed as confused by it as I am.

They did say they could fit the car in to investigate further in maybe 3 months though.

Interestingly, they are working on another Spitfire which the mechanic said was a LeMans racing car.

do some of the easy do have a quick look at the PRV to eliminate the cheap and simples 

you dont have end float and you dont get any knocks or growling rumbles when pulling hard 

it revs with out any clattering its something being unsympathetic at less than  1500rpm  

whats in the centre of the crankcase  ..............  have you checked the dizzy drive gear endfloat ????? that can clatter 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

do some of the easy do have a quick look at the PRV to eliminate the cheap and simples 

you dont have end float and you dont get any knocks or growling rumbles when pulling hard 

it revs with out any clattering its something being unsympathetic at less than  1500rpm  

whats in the centre of the crankcase  ..............  have you checked the dizzy drive gear endfloat ????? that can clatter 

Pete

I am certainly going to check out the PRV. I haven't checked the distributor end float but once set, is this something that can change? The noise has only recently become obvious. Guess it's something else I can check.

Been too busy to look further at this problem but have invested in these to monitor temperatures at various places under the bonnet while I am driving. Says they work up to 110C and were £3.47 the pair on eBay, including batteries and free delivery.

Once I have resolved the problem I might just use one as an ambient temp gauge, maybe the other as a cheap oil temp gauge with probe clipped to the oil filter. I know it wouldn't  be accurate but would give an indixation if temp rising or not 🤔

IMG_20230222_125706_689.thumb.jpg.59f23fd786a8a6bfb3c91f3bac3d50be.jpg

• Like 1

think you are worrying too much 

your driving style and oils used is not going to make your clatter  

its a mechanical clatter   so something somewhere is loose or worn  unfortunate but i dont feel you will get to the bottom of this until things get stripped down 

who said happy new year ?????

but start with the bits you can unscrew and check before removing the lump to dive in side 

Pete

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

think you are worrying too much 

your driving style and oils used is not going to make your clatter  

its a mechanical clatter   so something somewhere is loose or worn  unfortunate but i dont feel you will get to the bottom of this until things get stripped down 

who said happy new year ?????

but start with the bits you can unscrew and check before removing the lump to dive in side 

Pete

Yes, that's the plan 👍

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i was thinking ....... get on with it ..........    we have 6 pages and no solution  we all want to know what the !!!!!   is it 

keep smiling  

Pete

I would love to get on with it but I have other work to do on the house which is unfortunately more pressing at the moment. Or at least Mrs Cliff thinks it is 😒

Not much as its main use is at cruising speeds when it works to improve fuel economy although it is recommended to disconnect it when setting the dynamic timing. The workshop manual has the figures for checking with a vacuum gauge if its operating correctly....

Ok, I'm even more confused than normal now. Changed the oil this afternoon to Miller's Classic Sport 20w60 and as I went out to warm her up, I could see that the oil pressure was immediately much better, but then I got a really bad misfire with the car barely driveable. Then it cleared, then it came back again so I stopped to investigate. Sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and removing plug lead 1 kept things the same, so assume the issue is with that cylinder. But I have a spark there and swapping to a spare dist made no difference. So decided to limp home, a difficult even to pull away, then it cleared again until almost home before re-occurring.

Unless this is a huge co-incidence this has only happened since I changed the oil. Could it be affecting the valve operation in some way? Had the rocker cover off and everything is moving with plenty of oil spraying about.