Worrying noise

cliff.b

Not wanting to worry you, but it sounds a bit "endy". Have you got an oil pressure gauge fitted? Or does the oil presure light flicker at idle? What oil and when was it last changed? Often the general wear can lead to very low oil pressure at idle, but once the revs are up the pressure increases.

Of course, it could be a few other things. 

Didn't notice this noise last year but heard it when I put the car in the garage after the first run this year.

Oil pressure gauge showing what it always has done. Oil light off and pressure climbs within seconds of start up and no rattling or anything else. Sits at about 65psi when cold and falls when warmed.

When hot, the lowest the gauge shows is about 10psi per 1000RPM and 10 psi at idle. This hasn't changed. 

Using Castrol Classic, can't see anything fouling anywhere, crank pulley fell off last year, and noise does sound similar, but checked and tight.

Doesn't sound like it's coming from the water pump. Probably does sound more like it's from bottom end of engine.

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the crank nut may be tight but is there any float on the pulley if you give it some levering 

keyways are known to fail 

Pete

There didn't seem to be but will take another look. Removing fan belt made no difference.

I also changed the oil as I was going to do it soon anyway. Thought it had improved matters but went for a drive and when I got back I think it sounded the same as before.

so its beginning to sound expensive     but it drives fine so it can still be something daft(and noisy) 

if there are no knocking underload  you need to keep hunting     

not an easy noise to determine    sounds like £££s   but hope its  pennies 

Pete 

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the crank nut may be tight but is there any float on the pulley if you give it some levering 

keyways are known to fail 

Pete

Just thinking, previously the but fell off and it was running without it making a similar sort of noise as the pulley was moving.

Could that have damaged the keyway and if so, what can be done? Hopefully not a new crank.

28 minutes ago, johny said:

Whats the engine mileage and rebuild history?

The engine was in the car when I got it. The engine number starts DM and ends ESS which I believe means it was a factory exchange unit at some point.

It runs very well, there is zero smoke, uses very little oil.

Odometer says 81k miles but who knows if that is genuine and if the engine has been replaced, when that was done.

Judging by the way it generally runs and that everything has been painted, I was thinking it was rebuilt when the rest of the car was, but who knows.

28 minutes ago, johny said:

even with no key if the nut is done up correctly pulley should be tight and wouldnt expect that kind of noise...

The nut is tight. I just tried to get it off to try running the engine without it but it doesn't want to shift, even with the starter motor trick.

Trying to move the pulley by hand, I can't detect any longitudinal movement but I can feel some slight rotational play.

But would that be an issue?

This sounds exactly I had on my spit. The fly wheel bolts had come loose. Take the starter motor out and see if there is any play. 

Mine started on the new Queensferry bridge and finally destroyed the clutch, starter motor and flywheel at John O'Groats. A nice 15hr recovery back to Essex.

45 minutes ago, dannyb said:

This sounds exactly I had on my spit. The fly wheel bolts had come loose. Take the starter motor out and see if there is any play. 

Mine started on the new Queensferry bridge and finally destroyed the clutch, starter motor and flywheel at John O'Groats. A nice 15hr recovery back to Essex.

Hmm, although difficult to pinpoint the noise I was thinking the lower rear of the engine. Was suspecting big end 3 or 4 but guess what you experienced would fit the bill.

Was you noise only noticeable at tickover? And did any other symptoms develop?

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

loose flywheel sounds a good plan  ................just a pain to get to the bolts  

would explain noise at idle when unsimpathetic  vibrations are at their best and less as it revs 

does operating the clutch play on the noise ???

Pete

I don't know as generally I haven't noticed it when driving and I gave been listening to it from out of the car with the bonnet up.

Easy enough to check though. 

• Like 1