Unusual (possibly) Herald door hinges

Colin Lindsay

I've removed the doors from my Herald with some difficulty; not least because the hinges are a type I've not come across before. These have an Allen-headed bolt running down through with a nut on the end; not the 'normal' ribbed-pin versions I'm used to, even my other versions are the 'cut-away' style but still have a pin. Anyone know if they're early, alternative or whatever? They're also chamfered for a countersunk setscrew in each 'front' hole, hence the difficulty in removing one, the screw was rusted solid and I couldn't exert the same force with a screwdriver as I can with a spanner. As they're unfamiliar to me, anyone got any experience of refurbishing them, or ideas about spare parts, before I dismantle them to destruction?

6BBB7F63-3BB0-4328-8E31-087972889638_1_105_c.jpg.81b6cf7efd9a2d3c4ed7a1666414ec63.jpg  99D9A345-28B9-4B14-95E9-D733B202CDB6_1_105_c.jpg.cbac47b056e62b3ee50f2fc4e3dbe027.jpg  A4F0B95D-AF6B-439F-8838-99A0B63BF31B_1_105_c.jpg.7af3c79f03731d85bf4d50eb4818274b.jpg

Mine on the 13/60 have the countersunk screws, absolute sod`s to get undone. I used an impact driver. similar to:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262842774063?hash=item3d32a6722f:g:ytMAAOSwUKxYmvPf  which I have had since the 60`s. I guess the Socket bolts have been someones earlier attempt at refurbishing the hinge pins?. Probably cut the thread off a long one?

Edit:- I can see the nut on the base, but i would have thought unnecessry?

Pete

1 hour ago, clive said:

I reckon a fix by a previous owner. Cap heads are very tough, so should be good as hinge pins.

It's very possible; I may take one apart to see what I can break. Is there a long 'roll-pin' sort of tolerance ring down the middle? I can't find similar online.

Pete's right, the countersunk screws are a nightmare, but I suppose if push comes to shove I can replace like for like using the same hinges, if serviceable; now that the screws are out after a few hours labouring. There was no movement with them before removal, they were only removed to paint the bodywork around them. I could get away with leaving them alone, just a good clean and oil.

If I ever meet that PO again I'll tattoo 'I must not cover every inch of a car with Waxoyl' 1000 times across his buttocks.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If I ever meet that PO again I'll tattoo 'I must not cover every inch of a car with Waxoyl' 1000 times across his buttocks.

Must have missed the earlier Waxoyl reference (or maybe not getting it?), though if I bought a car that had been literally covered inside and out, chassis, body (not interier trim etc), and I just had to switch the wipers on to drive it home, I would have thought a good bet.

Aside from Waxoyle apparantly, not great anymore?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's very possible; I may take one apart to see what I can break. Is there a long 'roll-pin' sort of tolerance ring down the middle? I can't find similar online.

Pete's right, the countersunk screws are a nightmare, but I suppose if push comes to shove I can replace like for like using the same hinges, if serviceable; now that the screws are out after a few hours labouring. There was no movement with them before removal, they were only removed to paint the bodywork around them. I could get away with leaving them alone, just a good clean and oil.

Colin, Meant to post earlier. I intend to replace the existing screws with the Socket head equivalents when the time comes. I may even have some in my "allsorts" stash?.

Pete

18 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Must have missed the earlier Waxoyl reference (or maybe not getting it?), though if I bought a car that had been literally covered inside and out, chassis, body (not interier trim etc), and I just had to switch the wipers on to drive it home, I would have thought a good bet.

Aside from Waxoyle apparantly, not great anymore?

Every inch of the bodywork, bar the visible panels, covered in the stuff. Door edges and a / b post areas, underside of bonnet, underside of bootlid, hood well... even under the rear seats... all coated in what is now a grit-filled sticky residue of a yellowish-black colour. you can see where I've cleaned under the hinges, they come up as white, otherwise a horrible yellow that is so noticeable by anyone looking at the car. This was the boot floor just as I started cleaning it:

IMG_1820.thumb.jpeg.5e15969b3ed66151776f1861583e5155.jpeg

18 hours ago, PeteH said:

Colin, Meant to post earlier. I intend to replace the existing screws with the Socket head equivalents when the time comes. I may even have some in my "allsorts" stash?.

Pete

Pete - I'll send you a PM.