6 cylinder spin on oil filter adapter, seals/s replacement

daverclasper

20 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks Johny. I can try that, just a bit concerned, that if does move, I won't be able to see that

As it contacts first wont you be able to see the seal is in position against the block before you finally tighten the adaptor against the outer seal? Use a torch and mirror....

Dave, sorry to butt in but I'm having a mare getting the filter off my adapter. Can't get a good grip so I took the housing off but still won't budge using my three prong tool. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when our maintenance guy gets in as he has a bench vice. Question is can I refit with the filter pointing up? It would give me easy access for filter changes. I have the non return filter from the club.

Iain 

ooh wonder if its been cross threaded or even the wrong thread?

Filter pointing up really defeats the object of having the adaptor so keeping the original might have been better. I know theres a non return valve or even two on some filters but they are literally a rubber flap laying over the inlet holes so although slowing down the loss of oil from the filter cant be relied apon to stop it emptying over a few days🙁

7 minutes ago, johny said:

ooh wonder if its been cross threaded or even the wrong thread?

Don't think so just on bloody tight! I have to say the standard horizontal oil filter can would be much easier to change! The PO had the spin on fitted I'm thinking I might revert back to original can and filter. 

It's certainly oily now I've taken the housing off and wrestled the unit trying to take the filter off! Is there anything wrong with fitting the spin off vertically up? If the oil runs out its surely no worse than the original? 

Nothing wrong and some cars have that set up but of course takes longer to fill up the filter and get oil to bearings when starting after a period laid up. Youll have to try it and see if its acceptable (rattling?) as the original is at least horizontal so keeps some oil in it...

The filter came off after clamping the body in a vice. Even with the three prong tool and a ratchet it was very tight. It wasn't me honest! 

Getting back on topic I noticed the body to engine outer seal was frayed nearly in half. I've ordered the seal kit ftom Paddock part no JPG155SK for £8.55 plus £5.00 delivery. 

Iain 

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

whilst filter seals get replaced with filter changes its a bit puzzling why the spin on adaptor seals are degrading as they would not

be really expected to be a "service" item  in general 

but the seal kits are available so someone knows they need checking 

All I did was take the housing off and found the outer seal in this condition. Very odd. 

IMG_20230314_100031.jpg

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

That looks like somebody tried to remove it with a sharp pointy thing, failed, and decided to leave it in there.

I agree, it wasn't me! As soon as I took the housing off I saw a tang of the seal poking out the machined groove in the block. I suppose it could have 'stuck' to the housing as I took it out and as the seal is quite brittle broken? On the plus side Paddock came up trumps with next day delivery (only paid for standard) and the new seal is the correct size. 

Made in China..... 

IMG_20230314_132354.jpg

Edited by Iain T

15 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Let me know how the kit works out for you please

Dave, the outer seal fitted perfectly in the engine grove. The smaller inner seal seemed slightly too small to fit in the spinner housing machined rebate. I gave it a few tugs to stretch it and 'stuck' it in place with a thin smeer of Wellseal. To assist getting the filter off again instead of it being at about 7 o'clock it's now at 9.30 just above horizontal. There is a block drain(?) fitting that's in the way stopping it going below horizontal and I definitely don't want to disturb it! 

IMG_20230315_104352.jpg

Thanks. That thing in the way sounds like the oil pressure relief valve?.

If so you can easily remove and fit the filter at about 7.30? and refit valve, though means filter is close ish to chassis and you have to remove valve again and loosen adapter to move it up to access filter to change it.

I've just bought a used original filter housing of EBay and Local Moss appear to have the filter, inc the outer seal for under £4.

For me it just seems an more straightforward route?

Looks like the oil pressure switch but because its been extended to include a pressure gauge and oil feed (to rockers?) its much larger than normal☹️

I wouldnt disturb it or the adaptor seal - the latter was originally intended to be replaced everytime it was undone but try it as it is and have a listen on a cold start...

4 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Yep, much easier and more convenient. If your engine is in good condition then the benefits of a (horizontal) spin-on filter are minimal.

I agree, I've only refitted as I had a new filter and started so I'll finish! The original fitment if regularly changed and use of quality oil seems perfectly ok. 

I've seen some cans on ebay but must include the internal fittings. 

Iain 

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Looks like the oil pressure switch but because its been extended to include a pressure gauge and oil feed (to rockers?) its much larger than normal☹️

Well if you're gonna 'ave one 'ave a big un! The other oil feed goes to the needle valve to control the rocker oil feed. 

It's a long hexagon fitting (relief spring?) about 50mm long that's stopping the filter can from being rotated to say 8 o'clock. 

Iain 

55 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I've just bought a used original filter housing of EBay

Did it come with the boss, bolt and I think there is a spring? Also seems to be a filter centraliser? 

I assume the outer seal is the same as spin on?

Edited by Iain T