Painting bonnet tips

DJB350Z

Hi,

I've just stripped my GT6 bonnet to bare metal on the outside side. Now, the underside of it is my next focus. 

I was planning to strip the inside back to metal but actually it's in pretty good shape so I decided I would just key the surface and repaint. But... now I'm quite unsure how I will get my hands, tools or fresh paint in there. :D

So maybe I'm better off doing 4 or 5 smaller smart repairs on the imperfections.

How would a professional prep and paint the inside side of the bonnet - the wings aren't removable, and there's all sorts of nooks and crannies.

Thoughts?

The bonnet comes off quite easily, just undo the hinge bolts at the front. It's not that heavy, but it will need 2 of you to manoeuvre it.  Once off stand it on it's end to paint. Quite stable inside, but I wouldn't risk leaving it unattended outside, not in this wind!

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

To be honest was thinking the same thing.   With the outer arches fixed to the wing how do you get paint paint down into the gap between the two and look nice. Even with the bonnet removed.   Spray and hope , would there be sufficient coverage.  

Just about to start the refurb of my bonnent on my 13/60 and was thinking how to protect as well.

Any help from the more experienced?

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

The bonnet comes off quite easily, just undo the hinge bolts at the front. It's not that heavy, but it will need 2 of you to manoeuvre it.  Once off stand it on it's end to paint. Quite stable inside, but I wouldn't risk leaving it unattended outside, not in this wind!

Doug

And to think that on the other side of the world it is quite windy too.
A nice southerly blowing in.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/131566598/cook-strait-ferries-to-resume-despite-4metre-swells-roads-washed-out-in-wairarapa

2 of the photos are on the road in and out of home.

Edited by ahebron

On 21/03/2023 at 14:33, DJB350Z said:

Now, the underside of it is my next focus. 

It's very difficult! From your 'photos it looks rather like PO has painted the inside previously and made a moderately reasonable job of it. To improve it further would involve getting a smoother base to accept new paint: p400 wetndry wherever possible, scotchbrite where less accessible. And in utterly inaccessible areas, a waft of adhesion promoter. Bonnet off car for this and many many hours of work.

I guess proessionals have two things which help: Firstly, well practised skills in spraying into corners and blind areas. Secondly, expensive guns which provide a broad fan with very fine atomisation. However, £400 - 500 guns are beyond the reach of most of us. But it can help a bit to use a slow harderner and add just a little more thinner than usual. Another possibility is to use a small touch up gun to get into corners before using a 'big' gun for main coverage.

Not sure these suggestions solve anything - but possibility might stimulate some further thoughts.

• Like 1