Triumph crossflow

johny

Peugeot did a 16 valve 1.5ltr in the early 1920s   just   1.5ltr and  single cylinder 

from a distant talk on engines by Cosworth  was the optimum is 5 per cyl 3 inlet 2 exhaust   from memory 

there is a ratio of what diameter quantity  is a best fit in the head /bore 

pete

A cross-flow head will be more complicated to design, and probably to cast, especially for a push-rod engine. And if you really want the best advantage from it, you need the valves not to be in a single line - the TR7 engine has awkward exhaust porting because of the single cam. That makes a "proper" cross-flow, like the Sprint (or the Rover 2600 that was derived from it) quite a lot more expensive to produce. Post-war, when the Triumph SC engine was designed, it was worth it for Jaguar but not really for anyone else.

(I don't know about Bentley but Skoda built engines with four valves per cylinder way back in the 1920s)

And when you lookup the Gloria Vitesse which like a good Vitesse has a 6 cylinder engine you will see it is a reverse flow engine (non crossflow)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse-flow_cylinder_head.

I have been working on a DOHC twin carb 1100cc engine from the 1930s which puts out 50hp as standard. Not bad for those times.
It is a big lump of an engine it was designed to be aluminium but due to the accounts dept was cast iron.
Standard it came with a forward exiting head hugging hockey stick exhaust manifold similar to those fitted to the Stag.
There was no reason I can see for this as the engine bay has plenty of room.
It has been swapped out 4 into 1 headers.