Spitfire Steering

11 hours ago, johny said:

Think Id still be tempted to slice down one side, fit them on the trunnion and then put a cable tie round😲

I've cut cable rubber grommets thro one half in the past slid them over the cable then joined the cut joint with superglue let it dry then put the grommet in the hole with cable still thro it. 

should be able to do the same with the trunnion top seal, will try it myself in the near future as my ageing  cracking seals need replacing in the near future!

3 hours ago, johny said:

Ha, reckon most MOT testers, even if they did spot them, wouldnt have a clue whether something that minor is correct or not on a 50 year old model that they probably never even seen before! Nothing wrong with cable ties on gaiters etc

It's funny but most MOT testers over here have a genuine love of cars or bikes and many own various older or speciality cars, or motorbikes. They certainly don't seem as stupid and untrained as the mainland MOT testers are alleged to be.

Not saying theyre stupid, or untrained even, its just that our cars are so infrequently seen, especially as its not a requirement now, that theres many aspects of them that theyre not accustomed to. Design has moved on and a good example is wheel bearing play where Ive had to get out the manual before to explain that its essential on my Vitesse and not a failure...