Spitfire Steering

SWMBO. (so Far) has had 2 HIps. (1 replaced aftet 15years) I knee, Same leg, and a strengthening bar to support the broken Femur. My estimate is about 5kg of quality steel. (we joke about having her "weighed in") With a LOT of gut`s and effort, it all works, she reports very little discomfort. At the moment her issues are more medical than Prosthetic. By comparison, I have "rusty" knees, the result of years of crawling about inside Pressure Vessels, Tanks and Boilers. But the buggers arn`t get me under the knife any time soon!.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

Any thoughts on my question about the trunnion seals, they’ve perished and one has split completely, the trunnions were replaced about 3 years ago with little mileage since 

I’ve forced as much grease out as I can with oil

do I need to replace the trunnions to fit new seals?

thanks Julian 

44 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Do the springs need to be removed to change the trunnions Pete?

Been a while but I dn't think so.

Jack up, onto stands, remove wheel, remove tunnion bolt and you should be able to wiggle the trunnion out of the lower wishbone.  Can't remember if you also need to detach the anti roll bar but have a feeling you can normally get away without...

as soon as a wheel comes off the ground the spring is at its full travel because its integral shock is fully extended so no worries there. As for the anti roll bar if both front wheels are off the ground there will be no torque stored in it so everything can be undone without risk...

well the trunnion comprises the bronze threaded casting which can have worn threads so is loose on the vertical link. There will always be some play here especially if not kept lubricated with oil but if minimal save your money as theyre quite expensive. Then theres the plastic bushes and seals that fit in the lower part of the trunnion and these are whats usually worn and so replaced....

ah yes I didnt see the earlier post and thought it was the trunnion bush seals. A lot of work then to replace the top seal (for what it does its more a dust cover) when as Pete says the quality these days could mean the replacement wont last long anyway☹️

If thats the only reason for dismantling the suspension I would leave as is but stick to the lubrication schedule of the trunnions so that the oil you inject regularly pushes out any dirt that gets in. Saying that if you MOT the car it may well be picked up by the tester....

Edited by johny

Unfortunately with some components, particularly rubber ones it seems, there may just not be anyone making quality items so no supplier can help and the best option is to make the original, if still fitted, last as long as possible. However with enough complaints and demand theres always the possibility that other manufacturers will start to produce better quality alternatives...