Spitfire Steering

Before I put the gearbox back in after finding the culprit of my second gear problem (me), I’m turning my attention to a steering question while the car is jacked up

five years ago I had the body off my mk3 spitfire and rebuilt a rolling chassis

07EC966B-0882-4EB8-BC00-9A4D6A6235CB.thumb.jpeg.fe3798f0cd8f1212642a3c795c082e80.jpegI rebuilt the front suspension and steering, the only parts not replaced were the vertical links and steering rack, I replaced and greased the rack boots and installed a new all metal coupling, I did remove a shim from the rack to deal with excessive steering wheel play 

I replaced the trunnions and misguidedly filled them with grease

tyre pressures are 26psi and the steering wheel is original, toe in seems ok

my problem is the steering is very stiff and heavy at low speeds

Could my greased trunnions be causing the problem or perhaps the rack itself? 

thanks Julian 

Knowing no better when I first bought my Vitesse I greased the trunnions and the steering was heavy. I subsequently oiled them (but not disassembled) until oil dripped out and it was like having power steering! The difference was huge not only at low speed but in the feel at mid/high speed. 

Or it could be the rack.......!

Try the easy fix oiling first. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

do make sure the rack is centralised before you play with the shims the racks generally have a tight spot at centre  , move away from that and you could end up with higher loading 

grease the trunions   ....thats a black house point  !!!!

and modern tyres need higher pressures  than whats in the books  and did you load the seats with 150lb to set the static ride height???

more clues to diy tracking 

1 minute ago, Jonah said:

Thanks Pete I will need to get my head around that!

iain did you force oil through the grease nipple on the trunnions with a grease gun?

julian 

I found it easier to remove the grease nipple and use a syringe 

EP90.thumb.jpg.92087cde956731679e9b112a82c49e98.jpg

Paul 

15 minutes ago, Jonah said:

did you force oil through the grease nipple on the trunnions with a grease gun?

I have always used that method and it works well for me. I know many folks agree with Paul on the syringe for normal maintenance but I'm not so convinced that it will allow you to clear the grease out.

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

iain did you force oil through the grease nipple on the trunnions with a grease gun?

Yes I bought two Wanner guns off Ebay, one for grease one for oil. I did exactly that forced the oil in until it came out of all the joints. Be brutal! 

It hasn't removed the grease but as a quick n dirty fix it is much better and give you an idea of the possible cause of the heavy steering. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

I agree with NM, With the gun you're forcing it through the nipple, down the centre of vertical link and up the threads till it comes out the top. Dripping it in from the top does not ensure it's going up the centre of the vertical link where there may still be grease. Force is better than dripping :lol:

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

40 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Thanks everybody I’ve bought a Wanner gun and a syringe so that’s my first line of attack, I assume you’ve used EP80W 90gear oil for this

julian 

Jack each wheel before you start 

Paul 

Here's my bespoke Trunnion Oiler the oil can has a brass pump in it not plastic.

I strip the trunnion's down remove all grease, put new rubber top covers on & soldered the steel/brass washer in the bottom of the trunnion to avoid them leaking, ie it keeps a reservoir of oil in the trunnion.

Triumph Trunnion Oiler.JPG

• Like 2

Pull the chain out and twist to lock. I greased the inside tube to help seal in the oil (optional). Put some oil in and screw the top on. Release the chain to compress the chamber. Pump and lock in the side screw on the head or it'll come out there rather than the nozzle. 

It should work🤞

and with oil refills  always pull the chain and lock it off before you unscrew the barrel or you get a very oily shirt 

most have a bleed valve and another to swap the angle of the nozzle tube , both will release any trapped wind !!

you must release the chain to enable a bleed 

pete

one of my local stag owners  has had a replacement Knee  which has been crippling they (Nuffield) are replacing the ball and socket with a hinged version 

so think he will only walk dead ahead no left turns  available will know more on friday when they do the swap 

Pete

Friend of mine had knee replacement. Didn't work well and the other knee is giving him jip and he's fearful of further surgery in case it leaves him in more pain. I can understand the simpler hinged joint may cause less problems? 

The joys of getting old.... 

Indeed, my late father in law used to say that old age is not for sissies……didn’t understand then but do now!

after four back surgeries manhandling spitfire gearboxes and crawling around the garage requires I need a great deal of oiling

I’ve oiled the trunnions and grease was forced out, although these were installed new only a few years ago the rubber seals have perished and split. Do I need to disassemble the steering to replace these?

Talking of wise old folk, my dad used to say ‘never drink on an empty head’, tonight I intend to disobey and do some oiling of my own!

julian

• Like 1