Exhaust db killer

johny

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to try a couple of these on my Spitfire as the  non standard, two tailpipe exhaust is annoying me on longer journeys. Bought the cheapest I could find at £7.95 the pair 😊

IMG_20230511_131432_886.thumb.jpg.478bf57abe0341e1069b67ede707fbcf.jpg

Initially fitted with the back pressure adjuster in place and definitely quieter, but maybe too quiet. No edge to the exhaust note but didn't seem to affect performance though.

Then removed the plug and the deeper noises were reduced, but nice higher "raspy" noises were back when revving hard or down changing. Also, I was surprised that mid range pull seemed stronger as well, still pulling well when I changed up at 5500. Could that be something to do with increased back pressure 🤔

I will need to test further lol

On the subject of exhausts (and just to divert slightly - apologies to the OP) anyone familiar with the SNIP tailpipe extensions? I think these were to create an airflow and so remove exhaust gases more quickly but have never had that confirmed. Any ideas?

IMG_5924.jpeg.e7e299e9678d1bd71416184ec493a2eb.jpeg  IMG_5925.jpeg.ba391cdc19d64c15fd47eaae70480e38.jpeg

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

On the subject of exhausts (and just to divert slightly - apologies to the OP) anyone familiar with the SNIP tailpipe extensions? I think these were to create an airflow and so remove exhaust gases more quickly but have never had that confirmed. Any ideas?

IMG_5924.jpeg.e7e299e9678d1bd71416184ec493a2eb.jpeg  IMG_5925.jpeg.ba391cdc19d64c15fd47eaae70480e38.jpeg

Hmm, interestingly the rear box I have fitted has 2 outlets at either end and both are about 30mm dia but have a length of 50mm pipe spot welded on to their ends, allowing an airflow gap between the pipes. I was assuming this was for a similar reason and understand the thinking behind it but would that be beneficial to performance, even if it worked?

I have now blocked the forward facing aperture with steel wool and fitted the dB killer in the rearward facing aperture.