Exhaust db killer

johny

Well timing set to standard and drives beautifully but is a larger diameter mk2 exhaust bodged😁 to a mk1 manifold so no centre box. I havent checked compression so maybe valves not sealing 100% but also its a bit too noisy for me now that Im old...

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

popping and back pops on overun    are you sure it doesnt want a bit more advance ???  that  sounds a bit retarded

Pete

I got popping & banging on the overrun when my vac advance unit seized up. Presume it should advance on a closed throttle but wasn't doing so. 

Think its partial opening that gives the advance as when cruising to improve fuel consumption. Certainly I dont get much advance if I check my dynamic timing at idle with the vac still connected. I suspect that after market SS exhausts dont have as much baffling inside as the originals did...

My motorbike did the same thing (popping) when I changed from the standard exhaust to a sports one☹️ Possibly worsens fuel consumption as well because unburnt fuel gets sucked past the exhaust valves before they get a chance to close...

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Think its partial opening that gives the advance as when cruising to improve fuel consumption. Certainly I dont get much advance if I check my dynamic timing at idle with the vac still connected. I suspect that after market SS exhausts dont have as much baffling inside as the originals did...

I assumed it was the closing the throttle at highish revs that caused the vacuum advance just when you need it. Certainly replacing my faulty vac advance cured the popping etc on my car.

the vac unit only works at a cruising throttle when most vac is generated from a small hole very close to the throttle plate its purely an economy device 

nothing to do with performance add around 4mpg to a cruise , has no effect if you drive it like you stole it 

shouldnt develop much at idle and nowt at full throttle

if the spring  inside has failed then the base plate can float about and have mind of its own changing the timing as the base position is unstable 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

My lawnmower did it yesterday, a couple of pops on startup after emptying the grass box, about 30 minutes into the grass cutting - never thought anything of it then there was a bang like a gunshot and the spark plug blew clean out of the engine. No damage to threads so it's just worked loose.

ok well had a run out and the exhaust is definitely quieter so I'll be keeping the baffle in place. The noise at the tail pipe is more 'blowy' now as is logical with a smaller exit but the drone on long journeys is reduced such that now wind rush is the dominant source of noise which with the Viteese aerodynamics is unavoidable. Ive realised the poppin and banging which is still present, although quieter now, is only when the engines cold so is probably, as suggested, due to a weak mixture after the choke has been pushed in.

Next task will be to check fuel consumption as the effect on that, if any, could be interesting...  

Got these a few years ago for my wheelbarrow exhausts but never used. Couldn't bring myself to drill the silencer ends. I was thinking of fitting a different back box. I fancy the gt6 box with twin pipes. Thinking it will quieten it down. At the moment I wear earplugs on long journeys. 

Danny20230424_124825.thumb.jpg.118d5f3f308096ede011c240b62c2a89.jpg

1 hour ago, dannyb said:

I was thinking of fitting a different back box. I fancy the gt6 box with twin pipes. Thinking it will quieten it down. At the moment I wear earplugs on long journeys. 

I've fitted extra sound deadening Dodo Mat pads and albeit short journeys so far it is quieter. I phoned Phoenix and they do a single tailpipe version but he said its even louder. What he did say was he could make an inline 3.5" diameter by 12" long silencer which would quieten things down. He quoted an approximate £100. The deadening pads cost £24 which is cheaper if they work. I put them on the front bulkhead and might put the rest on the rear seat bulkhead to reduce tailpipe boom. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T