Herald roof trim screws

piran

Hi,

I'm finishing off the roof on my Herald and there are two sets of screws that I don't have and don't know what sort/size I need, can anyone help?

Ive got new webbing and plates fo the inside of the roof: does anyone know what I use to fasten these to the frame?

I'm looking to fit the outer chromed rail above the rear window and again need to know what sized screws I need for that.

TIA

Are we talking about a convertible here? I’m not completely sure which parts you’re referring to here (photos would help!) but if my guess is correct then I think the answer is pop rivets rather than screws.

They should be chrome or stainless steel countersunk pozidrive screws to fit the trim rail above the window. Sorry, I cant help with screw size. Make sure they fit snugly into hole. If the head sticks up it will scratch the small windows when folding the hood.

24 minutes ago, Josef said:

Are we talking about a convertible here? I’m not completely sure which parts you’re referring to here (photos would help!) but if my guess is correct then I think the answer is pop rivets rather than screws.

Yes it's the convertible:

image.png.85c9c94f0f7043d004e893b58ba4f2eb.png

The webbing has the plates (71 in the diagram) holding it to the frame, the finisher (74) goes on the outside and is fastened through the roof. James Paddock do the finisher and lots of places do the webbing and plates but I haven't been able to find out what I need to fix them. 

Yep, that’s what I thought you were meaning. On my car both of those things are pop riveted to the hood frame. It’s a fairly unmolested car, but I couldn’t tell you for certain that’s the original fitment.

My convertible roof which is an Aussie CKD assembly had small screws Holding the plates to the webbing I’ll attach a photo later tonight they are very small short countersunk with a slot head

Pic of Webbing clips and the original screws attached 

Vitesse Herald CV Webbing clips and original Screws.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
Pic Supplied of clips and screws

Oh. Yeah. So part 74, is that hollow inside so it might take trim clips? I can’t easily look at my herald roof at the moment as the car is slightly disassembled. But that’s ringing a bell now you mention it. I know the book you’re quoting from, it’s sometimes useful, but also sometimes difficult to interpret (as you’re finding!).

The rear Stainless trim above the soft top window is held with 5 special rectangular shaped spring clips, held with small rivets or tiny short self tappers, these are listed as Part Number 567228 according to Canley's Website (Still available) but I'm not sure if this is an error as they look like the riveted side trim clips to me when you google that part number?

I've found these which I think are correct:

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/info_BSF257P.html 

Each curved end is then held with a raised countersunk pozi-drive chrome or stainless steel screws 1/2" long no.6 size YZ3324 (Again courtesy of Canley Classics Website)

As stated, the screws need to be a good flush fit to stop them damaging the quarterlight window.

I believe the Webbing plates where originally held in place with 1/8" rivets, that's what I used on my Vitesse. 

Regards

Gary      

Edited by Gary Flinn

5 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

The rear Stainless trim above the soft top window is held with 5 special rectangular shaped spring clips, held with small rivets or tiny short self tappers, these are listed as Part Number 567228 according to Canley's Website (Still available) but I'm not sure if this is an error as they look like the riveted side trim clips to me when you google that part number?

I've found these which I think are correct:

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/info_BSF257P.html 

Each curved end is then held with a raised countersunk pozi-drive chrome or stainless steel screws 1/2" long no.6 size YZ3324 (Again courtesy of Canley Classics Website)

As stated, the screws need to be a good flush fit to stop them damaging the quarterlight window.

I believe the Webbing plates where originally held in place with 1/8" rivets, that's what I used on my Vitesse. 

Regards

Gary      

Thank you, that's great, the clip on Canley's website does look like an error, the bresco link looks very promising.

• Like 1

My early parts manual doesn't cover convertibles; they hadn't been made then! however on checking actual cars it appears the hood webbing clamps are definitely rivetted:

IMG_5932.jpeg.691561f03071fd5df140c675e3bed170.jpeg

The clips for the rear stainless trim were screwed in place; I have a 1962 hood dismantled and they're small clips with chromed screws. Surprisingly long screws, too, for the location.

IMG_5934.jpeg.6ef3043c3585d359aa66c38aa96a93f9.jpeg

However a later hood has different shapes of clip, I thought initially they were metal but the photo appears to show plastic, and rivetted in place. I suspect these were an available and simpler  option when that hood was replaced.

IMG_5930.jpeg.e8388315f29b2e52eedbaca49448531c.jpeg  IMG_5931.jpeg.4ca6de63d00cd5ae854420b56734f2d0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My early parts manual doesn't cover convertibles; they hadn't been made then! however on checking actual cars it appears the hood webbing clamps are definitely rivetted:

IMG_5932.jpeg.691561f03071fd5df140c675e3bed170.jpeg

The clips for the rear stainless trim were screwed in place; I have a 1962 hood dismantled and they're small clips with chromed screws. Surprisingly long screws, too, for the location.

IMG_5934.jpeg.6ef3043c3585d359aa66c38aa96a93f9.jpeg

However a later hood has different shapes of clip, I thought initially they were metal but the photo appears to show plastic, and rivetted in place. I suspect these were an available and simpler  option when that hood was replaced.

IMG_5930.jpeg.e8388315f29b2e52eedbaca49448531c.jpeg  IMG_5931.jpeg.4ca6de63d00cd5ae854420b56734f2d0.jpeg

That's really helpful, thank you. Canley show the same rivets that they use for the body trim, bresco have some of the clips that you show but they do them in various sizes - I don't suppose you know the width of the screw in clips?

Only 50% of the holes on my roof frame would accept the 1/8in pop rivet and would require a slight ream out, and the strip that holds the webbing is countersunk presumably for the screw head not to protrude and rub on the roof canvas, inevitably some of the screws will strip out so pop rivets are obviously a working solution,

I'd use the smaller head rivet so it best fits the countersunk hole, and be careful to ensure none of the rivet center pull through shear shaft sticks above the rivet head, very rare but I've had it happen, and had to knock the rivet steel center shaft back thro the rivet.    

I have spoken to Canley and they say that the widehead rivets for the body brightwork are the correct ones to use for the roof finisher. I now have all the pieces so will take the drill and pop riveter to my currently watertight roof this weekend !!!🤯

1 hour ago, piran said:

I have spoken to Canley and they say that the widehead rivets for the body brightwork are the correct ones to use for the roof finisher. I now have all the pieces so will take the drill and pop riveter to my currently watertight roof this weekend !!!🤯

Easy to check; buy some then try to press them into the trim before going near the hood frame. If they fit and hold, great!!

And there we go. Another job jobbed.

I bought some domed screws but they proved too big so I dug through my pots of screws left around for the time they might be useful and found a matching pair that fit nicely and now I'm vindicated in keeping all those odds and ends ! 

IMG_20230519_170006.jpg

• Like 2