Advice needed

cliff.b

Out attending a classic car event and car was running nicely then, on entering the parking area seemed to be running on 3 cylinders and lots of smoke from exhaust. Found plug 4 was oily and smoke from plug hole. Replaced plugs, restarted engine and now running fine.

Would welcome any thoughts on this?

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

there are a lot of duff spark plugs around    thats my no1 culprit

Pete

I would sort of agree with Pete, as replacing the plug cured it it could well have been the plug giving up, might simply have been the plug lead coming adrift from the plug.

Pleased it was a simple fix at any rate.

Things have moved on. The problem re-occurred and realised the smoke is white and a lot of my coolant is in the expansion tank. Started with rad cap off and when I revved the engine, coolant erupted out if it. Seemed to run ok on the way home but did a compression test and cylinder 4 is a little lower but steam coming out of radiator on each compression and steam out of plug hole when tester removed. I'm presuming head gasket 😒

6 minutes ago, Iain T said:

How is the oil? Do you see any water or emulsion on the dipstick? 

I think you are correct to suspect the head gasket. 

Iain 

The oil looks fine and no increase in oil level. Engine appears to run as normal when driving and temp not increasing. Only seeing the symptoms at tickover or at low engine speed.

I emptied the expansion bottle back into the rad and it was almost full again so not really losing much coolant, just pushing it into the bottle.

Any recommendations for head gasket supplier. Spit 1500.

23 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Spit 1500.

I had one of those in the 70's! 

I'm not the best person to advise as I didn't really have a problem with mine. I would assume Canley, Paddocks to be the natural suppliers. 

Iain 

7 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I had one of those in the 70's! 

I'm not the best person to advise as I didn't really have a problem with mine. I would assume Canley, Paddocks to be the natural suppliers. 

Iain 

Yes, just looking now. Looks like there is only one type of head gaskets for the 1500 but suppliers prices seem to vary quite a lot. No idea if that reflects quality or if they all come from the same manufacturer. 

11 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Seems reasonable at £18.95 but on checking further says out of stock 🙄

In fact the only supplier I can find with any head gaskets in stock is Rimmer's who offer both a Payen one and a cheaper one.