Advice Required - Spitfire wont start

northernbrowns

Trying to start my Spitfire after winter storage but I cant get it to start. I have confirmed that there is fuel at the carb, the engine turns over but only splutters briefly and the starter motor drops out but never starts.

Last year I had the carb overhauled and the spark plugs replaced, which did improve things with regards to starting but now its no better.

The car is fitted with electronic points by the previous owner

Is this likely to be an issue with the choke, electronic ignition, or starter motor.

Thanks Mike

When you turn it over can you smell fuel?

It takes time to start mine when it’s been off the road for a bit. 
i turn the key and feather the throttle with my foot.

if you’ve got fuel (smell) then check ignition with an old spark plug. 
Could just be being stubborn, cold and moisture are the enemy of not using a classic car regularly.

Do you have any Bradex? If not, I suggest you go buy a can, give each carb a couple of seconds burst and then see if it will fire up. If it does, then your problem is in the fuel / carb area. If you have had E5 or E10 fuel in the tank, it will probably have degraded over the winter and may not be too combustable.

• Like 1

Modern E fuels go off quickly a friend with a fleet of classics has trouble with 2 particular cars a Mini Cooper and a Jag Mk2 only needs a couple of months lay up The Stag and TR4 aren’t as bad my Vitesse is ok for around 3 months the Spit also ok with a longer layup

Modern fuels are SH@T!

do you know what electronic unit is fitted ???

this is a mk111  form what i can see  dont think these have a ballast coil feed ???  

do check the coil leads are white pos to the +terminal and the dizzy wire is on the - neg terminal   reversed will give you grief,

its a common fault.

do not use spark plugs with a R in the suffix  they will drop the HT 

dont any any BPR type plugs 

i have never found old fuel to not fire up if just a winter seasoned lay up or even some years it still works enough to fire up

Pete

14 hours ago, northernbrowns said:

only splutters briefly and the starter motor drops out but never starts.

I had a similar situation which was caused by the choke slipping back as the engine turned over as suggested in previous replies.  The engine started when I held the choke out with my left hand while operating the ignition with my right hand and pressing the accelerator half down.