Track rod ends have an extra part ?

Hi all. The rebuild of the front suspension is going well. The canley trunionless uprights went in nicely

whilst I was doing it I thought I would fit some new track rod ends - bought some from Rimmer and they have an extra plastic shroud that the old ones didn’t. See pictures

I don’t think they are mission critical. I’ve tried fitting them and the protruding boss is so long it covered the whole of the taper and  the won’t do up tight 

Has anyone else had these. Do I bother fitting them ? I think they could fit if I cut most of the boss off ?

suggestions pls appreciated 

thanks kevin

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0556.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Teeth of the gods!   If that rubber boot needs a plastic cover while in storage, how will.it fare on the suspension?

John

When it’s only in a plastic bag and there are hundreds of them in a big box it is inevitable that some of the boots would get damaged by the weight and impact of those above, then fitting a plastic protector is a cheap way to maintain a pristine product.

Still think its for extra protection in use as looking at the photo of the way it was supplied the cover was pretty loose and wouldnt have given much protection from all those other units piled on top. Remember a lot of our bits are common to old Land Rovers and the like....

10 hours ago, KevinR said:

When it’s only in a plastic bag and there are hundreds of them in a big box it is inevitable that some of the boots would get damaged by the weight and impact of those above, then fitting a plastic protector is a cheap way to maintain a pristine product.

I think you have just augmented my case, Kevin!    A TRE weighs a kilogram?    Balance an hundred, one on top of the other in a long tube, and the bottom one would have a hundred kilos on it.    But that would never be the case and you can do the arithmetic better than I of the impact of a small stone at 60mph!   I suppose that the makers are more concerned that this boot, with less resilience than a condom, would come out of the packet with a dent on it.  Horrors, and immediate product return with complaint to the dealer!

johnny, 

You, too, augment my case!   If the rubber boot needs such robust protection in use, then it's a useless part!

Kevinrpayne,  Please!  Ask Rimmers why they ship their TREs with this cover, and what are their intentions for fitting?

John

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

You, too, augment my case!   If the rubber boot needs such robust protection in use, then it's a useless part!

Yes agreed for normal use but I would accept a bit more protection for severe off road applications and Im talking Sahara here like most 4x4 are used for😁

John, you misunderstand.

there are a number of sharpish pointed corners/edges on a TRE and when there are lots of them in a box, and the box is being roughly handled, such as when being shipped, the sharp edges will do more than put a dent in a rubber boot, they will puncture it if the inner surface also hits a steel surface, such as the spigot it’s protecting.

you and others have long complained about parts quality, and now we have a supplier that cares enough about the quality of their part to fit a shipping protector and you are complaining.

would you be happy to receive a TRE with a punctured boot, I bet that if you did you would complain and ask for a replacement.

Dont forget theyre in a thick plastic bag as well😳 Anyway Id rather the manufacture save the money of the protector so they can use better quality rubber for the gaiter! My last ones didnt last 2 years with minimal use...

Edited by johny
Thought of something else

Possible, Kevin, possible, but still it does not make the part sound reliable when it must endure the normal conditions of use!  If they really wish protection in transit, surely a cardboard box would be better?  And be recyclable!

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Possible, Kevin, possible, but still it does not make the part sound reliable when it must endure the normal conditions of use!  If they really wish protection in transit, surely a cardboard box would be better?  And be recyclable!

John

John,

You cannot equate protecting a rubber boot before the part is fitted with the service life it will see after fitting.

In use, the rubber boot on a TRE, or other ball joint, is not being impacted by other metal objects that could distort its shape sufficient for it to "nip" the rubber between a sharp edge of another TRE in the box, and the main taper pin within the TRE that the rubber is protecting.  When this happens, its possible that the rubber will be punctured - regardless of its quality !

I've fitted new TREs and other ball jointed parts to many cars over the years, and even modern OEM ones (with descent rubber that lasts years) come with the protective cover to prevent damage to the rubber boot before the part is fitted.